MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

new HD Vomp?

Started by rdoac, May 18, 2010, 17:58:35

Previous topic - Next topic

rdoac

What about Google TV?  The Logitech Revue in the US is now down to $99, Android based etc.  Would the same app work on it?

MartenR

Well, on the weekend I managed to get first recording playback (with a few problems still), I am using the android Mediaplayer class.
So the requirement is that the device can play TS streams over http with Mpeg2 video, h264 (high profile not baseline profile) with AC3 or mpeg audio layer 2 audio through the android mediaplayer (not third party).
So you have to test, the requirements to android based devices for mediaplayer are very vague and vary greatly between different devices.
If vdr ts recordings from sd card play back well, it is very likely.

Other incompatibilities might show up, but they may be fixable.
So maybe I do not know for sure before someone tried it.

Marten

MartenR

I looked at the docs for google TV and it says that the NDK will be availiable at a future date. Therefore it might be, that it will not work on google tv in the moment. (I think the reason is that a lot of devices use x86 and not arm). Also in the moment only preinstalled apps are supported :-(

Maybe later this year...

http://code.google.com/intl/de/tv/faq.html

Marten

MartenR

Just an update, exempt for Teletext, which is not optimized in the moment, everything is working in some way.
Only the MMB-322 crashes occasionally due to heat problems.

Marten

petric

Is HDMI-CEC supported in this device ?

That would save me (at least) one remote control.

Petric

MartenR

No, I do not think so, but I am 100% sure.

stu-e

Exciting stuff.
Any idea yet on how portable this is to other Android set-top-box hardware?

MartenR

I did not use any device specific function.
So it should work in theory with every android device, which supports a TS playback with mpeg2,h264 and mpeg1 layer 2 audio and ac3.
And it should also support the android ndk.

If it works in real life, we have to try.

Marten

stu-e

There are few Android set-top-boxes out there to choose from, at least for now.

Sounds like the Flexiview FV-1 is one to avoid:
http://androidforums.com/3111461-post310.html

stu-e

Marten
Does your MMB-322 support 1080i and 576i output (essential for watching interlaced source video)?
I see at least one Android set-top-box supports only progressive output:
http://androidforums.com/google-tv/419483-g-box-rockchip-2918-gingerbread-really-plays-outputs-fullhd.html#post3255228
That would make it impossible to watch 1080i or 576i video without interlacing artifacts.

Stu-e

MartenR

I do not think  so, I think only 720p and 1080p is supported.
So far I only hooked a SD PAL TV to it, since this tv is sitting next to my computer.
All I can tell you, that it uses a bluray player chipset with the android stuff as osd and the video playback below the osd.
Because of the thermal problems, I am looking for myself if one of the cheaper android boxes with  another chipset does a better job.

Marten

MartenR

Just one comment to the box:
http://androidforums.com/google-tv/419483-g-box-rockchip-2918-gingerbread-really-plays-outputs-fullhd.html#post3255228
please look also on the remote control, it has not enough button for vomps normal functionality.

Marten

sirwio

This sounds extremely interesting... and hopefully we will have a nice replacement to the mvp's.

The last couple of years I have played around with htpc's as vdr frontends. Sadly enough the solutions have not turned out to be enough WAF nor have as good picture quality as the four mvp's in our household deliver.

A few posts above you refer to the Android NDK. Is the solution developed dependant on the NDK or is it sufficient to build the android Vomp using the Android SDK?

A box that looks promising is the Dvico Tvix XRoid A1. Its equipped with a Sigma Design SMP8657 SoC. Its a bit expensive but appears to have good performance. Some complaints about stability and missing features in the firmware/s but it is slowly improving with every firmware released.

MartenR

QuoteA few posts above you refer to the Android NDK. Is the solution developed dependant on the NDK or is it sufficient to build the android Vomp using the Android SDK?
90% is NDK code (It is the old vomp code, so it looks more or less identical), so you need the NDK. (It is not availibale for all android platforms.
QuoteA box that looks promising is the Dvico Tvix XRoid A1. Its equipped with a Sigma Design SMP8657 SoC. Its a bit expensive but appears to have good performance. Some complaints about stability and missing features in the firmware/s but it is slowly improving with every firmware released.
This one is mips based, I think. The ndk is so far only availiable for ARM and may be in a few month for x86.
So vomp will not work.

Marten

MartenR

Just an update: my Marvell based Android Player MMB-322 annoys me getting a frequently system crashs (black screen), since it depends on the type of video (h264 crashes faster), I thought it is thermal.
I bought a fan, but still with 25 °C instead of 45°C it does the same.
May be a bad device, maybe a fault of my programming....

So I bought a skyviia based media player MMB-22 which costs only 70 euros (instead of 150 eur).
But the people from skyviia did not implement the media player through the documented android classes, so vomp does not work...
Interestingly I did not find the modified mplayer source code...
Maybe I find another way around it,(it uses mplayer using the slave mode) but I am bit frustrated.....

Marten