MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

new HD Vomp?

Started by rdoac, May 18, 2010, 17:58:35

Previous topic - Next topic

rdoac

Just found this on the Hauppauge site.  Is this an evolution to an SD Vomp box or something else?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_mediamvp-hd.html

Chris

It could be. We will have to wait for it to come out before we can find out if it is hackable.

Harry

Hauppauge 1340 MediaMVP-HD Digital Media Player by Hauppauge
Buy new: $149.99 $139.99

that's @amazon.com
could be someone's taken a look at it already .. somewhere out there :)

eats allegedly 6 watts _while_ playing an HD stream.

cheers
Harry

Chris

Heh, why didn't I check amazon.com...

The way it doesn't require a computer to boot means it could be a problem to hack. I wonder if anyone at mvpmc has taken a look at it..

MartenR

From the website:
QuoteMediaMVP-HD's CPU engine (a Sigma 8655 processor) runs the Linux operating system, and has built-in multimedia hardware for decoding high definition MPEG-2 and H.264 videos, digital audio and digital pictures. The MediaMVP-HD application can be reloaded through it's Setup menu.
It has a sigma, that means, it is the same situation like the popcornhour (which has similar processor, maybe the same), that there is no way at the moment to get open source software having control over the mpeg and h264 decoder. (Sigma SDK is only availiable under NDA)

I tried a port of vomp to the popcornhour, since there was hope of a open lib for mpeg/h264 playback, but at the moment is still not resolved.
So I am checking out other alternatives, which do not allow a port of vomp/but a rewrite with new protocoll and will be more flexible. In a few month we will know more.

Marten

P.S: I am very frustrated, that most/all plattforms video decoders are locked down, I am searching for a while and I really want something vomp like with HD support.

UloPe

Have you guys seen the developer documentation linked from the US Hauppauge page?

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/mediamvp-hd/mediamvp-hd_developers_faq.pdf

That doesn't sound so bad from a first read...

MartenR

Well, it is. They state that they provide only access to media playback through command line tools.
That the same things as the popcorn  hour familiy.
With this api support the things how vomp streaming works will not work.

Marten

petric

What about the WD TV HD Live Media Player. It has a network port, HDMI, ...

Although it uses the same sigma chip - there is a extended firmware available (http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv-live/). It seems to be debian based.
GPL Source code seems also be available at WD. I don't know whether this also includes controlling the sigma chip.

Maybe someone can throw an eye on it.

MartenR

Well it is the same sad story as with all sigma based devices.

All I can say that I have a potential target for something like a HD Vomp, I am working on it since April/May, but I am still unsure if it will work.
It will not be the vomp software or protocoll (due to technical reasons, I would have loved to use the our old mature code), but something similar.
I will post details, when I get  the first video playback, here but it will take a couple of additional months.

Marten

petric

Thanks, will wait for your "i got it - its alive"  ;-)

petric

Hello,

you wrote:

Quote from: MartenR on September 02, 2010, 19:16:03
Well it is the same sad story as with all sigma based devices.

All I can say that I have a potential target for something like a HD Vomp, I am working on it since April/May, but I am still unsure if it will work.
It will not be the vomp software or protocoll (due to technical reasons, I would have loved to use the our old mature code), but something similar.
I will post details, when I get  the first video playback, here but it will take a couple of additional months.

Marten

Any news ?

Merry Christmas.

P.S.: If this device you are working on also supports HDMI-CEC it would also be great.

MartenR

At the moment recordings playback of mpeg2 pes recordings playback without audio works. (In an emulator on a windows pc so far).
So far no problems, but if live tv works is in the moment not sure.

Once pes mpeg2 recordings with audio work, I will go public and ask for help of other developers.

Actually, I am programming for a whole family of devices, most of them will support HDMI-CEC.

The future is blue.

Marten

stu-e

Is that (CE 3100 Media Processor) Intel  blue?

Stu-e

MartenR

MartenR

Ok, an update, I am now able to playback pes recordings with Mpeg2 and ac3 audio.
Mpeg audio has to be transcoded I am working on this.

The new vomp like client will be completely skinable and will allow animated menu. (This does not mean that I programmed an animated menu)

To uncover the mystery, it will be a streaming cleint based on BD-J, so in theory it should run on any bluray player with BD live.

In the moment, I am using a PC software player, so I can not tell, how compatible, it will be.
Anyway, anybody, who wants to buy a bluray player, should postpone this, until we know whichone will be compatible.

In two-three months, I will have alll bits and pieces, so that I can setup a git or svn and other may join me.

Marten