MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Red, Green, Yellow, Blue

Started by Chris, November 20, 2007, 23:03:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

So let's get these colour buttons sorted....

In live TV we have the following functions:

• EPG
  • Summary of current programme
  • Audio channel selection

In recording playback we have:

• Summary of current programme
  • Audio channel selection
  • 10s / mark skip back
  • 10s / mark skip forward

As "summary of current programme" and "audio channel selection" are common to both modes it would make good sense to have them on the same colour buttons across modes, which we don't currently have.

I was going to offer to get rid of yellow and blue for 10s skip, but then I found that the old remote doesn't have the required star/hash replacement buttons, so that's not possible.

So I propose:

Red         Green       Yellow         Blue
-----------------------------------------------------------
Live TV       Summary     Audio       EPG?           EPG?
Recording     Summary     Audio       -10s           +10s

The problem with this is that it moves EPG off the red button (which I guess is hardwired in a lot of people's minds now!) to either yellow or blue...

Are there any major objections to this? If not, which would you prefer, yellow or blue for EPG? (I am thinking blue...)

muellerph

I fear at the end you need to be a dictator.
If I need to vote I choose blue.
Just because I will make my brain remember: "This program guide I get from the sky and the sky is blue".

svalavuo

Is it possible to make buttons more like VDR?

Red                Green           Yellow         Blue
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live TV         Start recording Summary      EPG?           Audio
Recording     Summary         -10s             +10s           Audio

This would move about all buttons, but with VDR in house (and in use), it would be easier to have those -10s and +10s in same positions?
With Live TV it would be great to have "instant recording", wouldn't it?
Green is used in VDR for Audio, but only in Main Menu...

After all, it's totally up to Chris which order those button are, but same button for same function (at least in MVP) is great idea.
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

hondansx

I would prefer like svalavuo said.
The button behaviour of vdr is very good and well tested.
To have an button for "instant recording" would be very nice.
So i totally agree with svalavuo.

GA-EP43 | headless | 1xCineS2 Dual | 1xSkystar 2.6D | VDR 1.7.37 
Frontend: 1xRasperry | 1xION3

rdoac

Again, I don't mind which button is which, having a live TV record button makes sense, although we have a record button, so let's use that.  Once into Live TV mode, would it be possible to auto switch to watching the recording, then you could pause live TV.  I suppose the pause button would do the same thing, but then auto pause it too.

Red in the UK is associated with extra features, although Green is in Italy for the same reasons.

svalavuo

This doesn't belong to color buttons, but is it possible to associate those top buttons (video, images, music, tv, etc.) to corresponding functions?
Samuli

rdoac

Unfortunetly, the old remote doesn't have the function buttons.  I suppose we could have new and old remote functionality, but we can't remove features from the old remote type.

svalavuo

Quote from: rdoac on November 22, 2007, 12:14:09
Unfortunetly, the old remote doesn't have the function buttons.  I suppose we could have new and old remote functionality, but we can't remove features from the old remote type.

There is allready selection in settings for new/old remote, but I have no idea what it does? How does it change anything?
In my opinion nothing has to be removed, just few "shortcuts" would be nice. :)
Now I have quite a few buttons with no assoiciated functions.
Samuli

rdoac

The up / down arrows are different.

I have two old style remotes and one new one.

The old one doesn't have a whole load of buttons, and the red / green / blue / yellow are in different places and more logical to use for different features.

The old remote can be seen here:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21A25VJW4ML._AA160_.jpg

The new one

http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/press/presspictures/HVR-1300_retail_board+remote.jpg

Sorry I couldn't find a bigger image of the first remote.

Chris

I don't think it's a good idea to reserve red for record, as rdoac said - we have a record button (on both remotes too!) so let's use that.

The new/old remote type in the config allows the volume and channel buttons to work independently from the arrow keys on new remotes, and allows the code to make sensible decisions when an old remote is in use.

As for making the buttons on the top of new remotes do things, this isn't all that easy with the current code, but I'll work on it one day. (Guide works when in Live TV...)

The mvpmc wiki has good pictures of the remotes:

http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/remote

svalavuo

Chris:
You've done GREAT job with this (and other contributors too) and my intention with these posts is absolutely NOT to complain.

Those buttons in top of new remote is something "nice to have", but not "a must".
Samuli