Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Volume control not working

Started by clausmuus, September 25, 2012, 11:01:33

Previous topic - Next topic

clausmuus

Hi,

the volume control don't work. It is possible to change the volume setting by keyboard, but this has no effect for the volume. Also a change of the volume by the alsamixer has no effect.

Claus
MLD - A Distribution also for the Raspberry PI

MartenR

Audio volume control is not implemented, yet, as well as muting... It is part of the change, I will do when implementing ac3 passthrough.
Anyway for the passthrough mode no volume control is possible, I have also to read how to control the receiver through hdmi cec.

Marten

Btw. Do not except change to the git too soon, I am in the middle of implementing openvg, which might take a while..

clausmuus

Thank you for this information. So I will make no updates the next days.
Do you think, it will be possible in future to set the analog output volume? OK, this is normally not important, but in my kind, I will connect a normal TFT Screen and a separate Audio system. To change the volume I want to use my remote control that also control the vompclient.

Claus

MartenR

QuoteDo you think, it will be possible in future to set the analog output volume? OK, this is normally not important, but in my kind, I will connect a normal TFT Screen and a separate Audio system.
I have to investigate this. Especially where the volume control buttons from cec are received.
But it might be that I have to make configurable, since otherwise it is possible that the volume control is changed twice.

Marten

clausmuus

Hi,
if you implement this, it will make sense, to make also the default volume (at start up) configurable.

Claus

clausmuus

Hi Marten,

only a reminder. Since the volume control now working, I only miss the additional function to set the default startup volume level.

Claus

MartenR

QuoteSince the volume control now working, I only miss the additional function to set the default startup volume level.
Will not be implemented. In the end vomp will run in the end 24 h a day like on the mvp and only turn on and off the tv signal.
So there will be no need for saving this.

In current git is the option to pass all volume control down stream to the cec or av receiver. I recommend using this option, since it also works in ac3 passthrough mode, which is now supported.

Marten

clausmuus

Hi,

it's right, that a store of the volume is not needed, if the RPI runs 24/7h, but it's bad (if I use the volume control of the vompclinet), if I start up the RPI, and the volume has 100%. In this case, I would prefer to have a default volume of 30 or 50%. I think, that nobody, who use the volume control of the vompclinet, want to have 100% on startup. And since, we don't know, what is the prefer default value, it will be good, if I can configure it.

Claus

glotzi

Quote from: MartenR on October 21, 2012, 16:47:00
Will not be implemented. In the end vomp will run in the end 24 h a day like on the mvp and only turn on and off the tv signal.
So there will be no need for saving this.
Are you sure this is the usecase for everybody? I'm using rpi with vompclient in my bedroom and I dont want to have a blinking Raspi the whole time. TV and Raspi are switched off by Steckerleiste. Yes, the raspi has less power consuption, but I think it's energy wasting to run it 24/7.

Uwe

QuoteTV and Raspi are switched off by Steckerleiste.
;D

clausmuus

I must show this immediately my wife  ;D

Claus

glotzi

Quote from: Uwe on October 21, 2012, 20:24:54
;D

Dat is net witzsich, was heißt "Steckerleiste" auf inglisch?  :P

Uwe

Quote from: glotzi on October 21, 2012, 21:34:25
Quote from: Uwe on October 21, 2012, 20:24:54
;D

Dat is net witzsich, was heißt "Steckerleiste" auf inglisch?  :P

--> power strip?

But it is because i use the automatic translation, sometimes he does not know the words. ;)

MartenR

I can not recommend using the switch in a cord, it is very likely that you damage the file system on your sd card.
Anyway, in current git, you can switch "off" vomp using the power key.
It is the same way the mvp was switched "off", just turning off the video signal ...
And then you can it switch on using the power key (of your remote for the cec device or your usb remote or the esc key on a keyboard).
If you handle it that way vomp will always remember the last volume.

The old behaviour can be turned on in the Makefile.
Also if you use hdmi it is strongly recommended, that you use the option in advances to give the control to cec.
In this way volume control is passed to your tv or receiver and this device will remember.

If you want a different behaviour, you have to write a patch yourself, if the quality is acceptable, I will put it into git.

Marten

clausmuus

Hi Marten,

my Problem with this is, that I don't know were (and with witch function) to set the startup volume. Also I don't know, how to add this to the setup and to store it. I think it would be only a small think for you, but a big think for me.
But I have a new idea. I think, if I use the hdmi audio out, it's right to use a default volume of 100% (ok, in my case this is also bad, because if I switch the hdmi source, I must also change the volume on the TV from 50% to 10% to have the same level, but this is maybe only my problem), but if I use the analog out (as I plan for the bad room), and I connect speakers that have no volume control (as I also plan), than I have a problem, if I can not set up the default volume, and it is set to 100%.
I think it will be the best solution, if I can set up a different default startup volume for analog output and hdmi output. The hdmi default volume should be 100%, the analog default level should be 70%. I also use this setup for the xineliboutput front end on PCs after a long discussion about the best preset values for this both cases.
It will be grate, if you can help us with this, since it seems, that also other users has the same problem as I with a not change able default volume.

Claus