MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Any replacement for MediaMVP?

Started by svalavuo, October 05, 2010, 13:22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

svalavuo

Now that it seems that Hauppauge doesn't do those MediaMVP -boxes anymore, is there any replacement for the hardware?
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

svalavuo

How about Motorola vip1710 -devices?
There is vdr streamdev-client firmware for that, but how about vompclient?
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

MartenR

We are working on it....
My last attempt on a android box MMB-322 worked, but then just when I finished the devices got discontiniued.
Since I have usually to adapt some things for a specific device it is a bit hopeless, since it seems that these devices stay to short on the market to be able to be fast enough to adapt vomp.
My next try would be the raspberry pi, I am waiting inpatiently for their launch....

Marten

Harry

what the...?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

this thingy would suffice?
hehe.. if so, it promises to be _very_ interesting.

cheers!

MartenR

Quotethis thingy would suffice?
Given the technical data: yes! They also telling that they provide OpenGL ES, OpenMax (h264 up to 1080p30 and mpeg2) and OpenVG libs, which should be suffient for porting vomp.
I am already reading the specs.... This things is interresting since I believe it will be around a long time..... We will see when I got one...

Marten

davep

Unfortunately it now seems that the Raspberry Pi will not currently decode MPEG2 in hardware, and the ARM processor may be too slow to do it in software. There is a possibility of unlocking MPEG2 decoding by paying $$ to Broadcom, otherwise this may be a HD-only VOMP replacement.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/592

MartenR

Yes, I have read this, but I think a software decoder might be a possible way also or the codec pack for extra $$.
I will buy one for developing anyway.....

Marten

Harry

hmm. as long as the price is within reasonable boundries,
i'd be willing to pay some €€ for unlocking MPEG2.

but what an interesting device!
the first 10k devices will be gone in no time i reckon.

cheers!

odin4242

Hi Marten,

any news on the raspberry pi? The guys put some tutorials on their youtube channel, the first linux isos are for download and the first devices are to arrive really soon, but i hope you are following them even closer than i do.

Kind regard
Till
M3N78-VM | 64GB SSD + 2TB WD Green | NetCeiver 2xDVB-S2-Dual 1xDVB-S Dual | SoftHDDevice
LG 37" Full-HD per HDMI
MediaMVPs | WinVDRStreamer | SMT 7020s | Raspberry Pi
easyVDR 1.0

MartenR

Well, I am looking everyday at their website and I have already looked into the iso. I have already started writing some opengl es code, but without the device I can not really start...
The all apis seems to be standard opengl es and khronos apis with some broadcom initialization code. All header files included.

I can only see if the device is capable of doing mpeg2 software decoding, when I have one, so there a lot of question marks...

But it will take some time after launch to write the code.

Marten

rdoac

Marten, have you seen this? 

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/28/fxi_technologies_offers_cotton_candy_linux_pc_on_a_stick/

It appears to be android based, low powered with hdmi, wifi and bluetooth.  Bluetooth can be cludged for the remote..  Looks interesting..?

MartenR

Well, in principle yes... But I need normally some time to adapt for the specific android device, since a lot of devices do not implement it in the way, which is specified by google. (I did not check if it has mpeg playback), and the last time the device was gone, when I was finished, so I stick to the raspberry pi, it has clear definied interfaces to access the hardware (except the missing mpeg2 support, but we will see, may be open gl shaders will help) and it seems to have the chance to be a longer time on the market....

Marten

davep

The RPi goes on sale at 0600Z tomorrow. If I'm lucky enough to get one of them I could perhaps help with testing.

MartenR

Actually, I hope I get one....
Without a device I can not start developing..... (Until now, I could only look into the images)

Marten

odin4242

Hey Marten,

i'll try to get one, too. You can have mine if i'm luckier than you  ;)

Cheers,
Till
M3N78-VM | 64GB SSD + 2TB WD Green | NetCeiver 2xDVB-S2-Dual 1xDVB-S Dual | SoftHDDevice
LG 37" Full-HD per HDMI
MediaMVPs | WinVDRStreamer | SMT 7020s | Raspberry Pi
easyVDR 1.0