Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

UTF-8 support for vompserver (& dongle)

Started by svalavuo, November 30, 2009, 12:35:01

Previous topic - Next topic

svalavuo

Hi,

Is there plan to implement UTF-8 to vompserver (and/or dongle)?

I'm planning to make a new VDR and I'd like to use UTF-8 (as it is default with all current distributions AFAIK).
Is this possible or should I change default locale to ISO-8859-15?

- Samuli
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

MarkC

Interesting that you should ask this just now. In the recent bdftobogl thread, I mentioned that I did some work on Unicode and extended font support a long time ago. I hope get it properly finished and in CVS over the Christmas holidays.

The new code supports both UTF-8 and Latin-1. Each string is checked to see whether it is valid UTF-8. If not, it is treated as Latin-1. This way, there should be no problems based on whether people are running UTF-8 or Latin-1 on their servers, and the old Latin-1 language files will continue to work.

svalavuo

When I was talking about this in finnish HTPC -forum (in IRC), there was this comment that VDR has cIconv -class that can be used to convert strings (with error checking).
I can't do coding with C so I don't know if that helps...

But anyway, I guess it would help quite a few people to have UTF support in vomp. Looking forward to be able to test it :)

- Samuli
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

MarkC

Quote from: svalavuo on December 01, 2009, 07:35:21
When I was talking about this in finnish HTPC -forum (in IRC), there was this comment that VDR has cIconv -class that can be used to convert strings (with error checking).
I can't do coding with C so I don't know if that helps...

But anyway, I guess it would help quite a few people to have UTF support in vomp. Looking forward to be able to test it :)

- Samuli

Thanks for letting me know about that. It might be useful to convert strings on the server, so the MVP can just assume everything is in UTF-8. But I've already done the work to perform checking on the client, so I'll probably just leave it as it is.