MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Bdftobogl

Started by davep, November 26, 2009, 20:46:11

Previous topic - Next topic

davep

The fonts used to display the OSD in vomp are pre-processed into C code by a utility called bdftobogl. Does anyone know where I can find the version of this utility used in vomp? There are lots of places on the net where source code can be found, but the latest version seems to be 0.1.18 and the data structures are completely different to the vomp ones.

The reason I'm looking for bdftobogl is that the default fonts (Helvetica Bold) look very blocky on my large screen and I'd like to try some lighter ones.

MarkC

The structure in VOMP came from some very old bdf/bogl code. My guess is that it was taken from the mvpmc project. However, I had to change the structure slightly and re-code some of the characters by hand to work around a bug in the original. The top two lines of characters like Ä Ö Ü were wrapped to the bottom, and there wasn't enough vertical spacing to display them properly at the top.

Almost two years ago  ::) I did some work to enable basic Unicode support and the ability to load fonts directly from BDF files on the VDR server. I really ought to revisit this now and get it into CVS. It is then really easy to use a program like fontforge to convert and edit fonts for use with VOMP.

In the meantime, there unfortunately isn't any software that can produce the exact form of code currently used in VOMP. The bdf2bogl code must still be around somewhere though, which you can use to create almost the right format. Chances are I can dig it out later, or Chris might have it to hand.

MartenR

@Mark

If you implement such a mechanism, it would be nice, if you include also support for other font formats like ttf. Since I am working on something, where ttf fonts are availiable and accelerated.

Marten

MarkC

Quote from: MartenR on November 28, 2009, 16:18:35
@Mark

If you implement such a mechanism, it would be nice, if you include also support for other font formats like ttf. Since I am working on something, where ttf fonts are availiable and accelerated.

Marten

Most of the code for the BDF fonts is already done, so if I do find the time to work on this again, I should be able to finish it fairly quickly.

If you're working on a way to support TTF / OTF fonts on the MVP, then I'll just stay with the BDF code for now. We should be able to merge your TTF code with it.

davep

Thanks both for the comments.

MartenR

QuoteIf you're working on a way to support TTF / OTF fonts on the MVP, then I'll just stay with the BDF code for now. We should be able to merge your TTF code with it.
Actually it would not be on the mvp (maybe windows). I am working for vomp on something with respect to hdtv, but at the moment I do not know if it leads to something usuable, anyway it will automatically have support for ttf, which may be a good idea for high resolution osd.

Marten

MarkC

QuoteActually it would not be on the mvp (maybe windows). I am working for vomp on something with respect to hdtv, but at the moment I do not know if it leads to something usuable, anyway it will automatically have support for ttf, which may be a good idea for high resolution osd.

Ah, I see. When you said "accelerated", it sounded promising for the MVP :)

I can see how it makes good sense to provide support for them on Windows.

Chris

Just to confuse things further I have dug up/found the bdftobogl code which I believe is the same version as I used to convert fonts for vomp originally - the not-quite-the-same-format as we use now.

I think it's from some very old X11 code.