News:

Latest versions:
Server plugin: 0.5.1
MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Changes to development script or enrivonment...

Started by Fourty2, February 10, 2007, 17:16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Fourty2

Hello Chris,

can you please inform us, which changes are necessary to compile Rev. 2.6 dongles...
(based on Devscript-3)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I have been working on that today. The new makedevenv-4 script is running on my test box right now, if it works I will upload it and annouce it. Most of it has changed :)

Chris

Chris

It is done and posted on the website. Could you report if it works on your system, and what your system is?

Fourty2

Quote from: Chris on February 13, 2007, 02:59:23
It is done and posted on the website. Could you report if it works on your system, and what your system is?

Debian 3.1 (Sarge), Kernel 2.6.20 and some package "upgrades" useful for vdr-plugins.

Sorry, not running... (User: root)

Last words:

crosstool-0.43/x86_64-static.dat
++ pwd
+ TARBALLS_DIR=/usr/local/src/VoMP/crosstool/downloads
++ pwd
+ RESULT_TOP=/usr/local/src/VoMP/crosstool
+ export TARBALLS_DIR RESULT_TOP
+ GCC_LANGUAGES=c,c++
+ export GCC_LANGUAGES
+ cd crosstool-0.43
++ cat powerpc-405.dat gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.2.5.dat
+ eval TARGET=powerpc-405-linux-gnu 'TARGET_CFLAGS="-O' '-mcpu=405"' 'GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=405' '--enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=405"' 'GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG="$GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG' '--without-fp"' BINUTILS_DIR=binutils-2.15 GCC_DIR=gcc-3.4.5 GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.2.5 LINUX_DIR=linux-2.6.8 GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME=glibc-linuxthreads-2.2.5 'EXTRA_TARGET_CFLAGS="-fno-unit-at-a-time"' sh all.sh --notest
++ TARGET=powerpc-405-linux-gnu
++ TARGET_CFLAGS=-O -mcpu=405
++ GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG=--with-cpu=405 --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=405
++ GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG= --without-fp
++ BINUTILS_DIR=binutils-2.15
++ GCC_DIR=gcc-3.4.5
++ GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.2.5
++ LINUX_DIR=linux-2.6.8
++ GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME=glibc-linuxthreads-2.2.5
++ EXTRA_TARGET_CFLAGS=-fno-unit-at-a-time
++ sh all.sh --notest
DEJAGNU not set, so not running any regression tests
GLIBC_ADDON_OPTIONS not set, so building all glibc add-on's
KERNELCONFIG not set, so not configuring linux kernel
+ TOOLCOMBO=gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.2.5
++ pwd
+ BUILD_DIR=/usr/local/src/VoMP/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/build/powerpc-405-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.2.5
++ pwd
+ TOP_DIR=/usr/local/src/VoMP/crosstool/crosstool-0.43
+ test -z ''
+ SRC_DIR=/usr/local/src/VoMP/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/build/powerpc-405-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.2.5
+ echo 'SRC_DIR not set, so source tarballs will be unpacked in the build directory'
SRC_DIR not set, so source tarballs will be unpacked in the build directory
+ abort 'Don'\''t run all.sh or crosstool.sh as root, it'\''s dangerous'
+ echo 'Don'\''t' run all.sh or crosstool.sh as root, 'it'\''s' dangerous
Don't run all.sh or crosstool.sh as root, it's dangerous
+ exec false

Fourty2

Fourty2

Hello,

Crosstool build aborts because of a "if user is root" check in all.sh.
After a small change everything runs as expected..  ;D

Fourty2

davep

Build fails on Mandriva 2007 because the gcc version is 4.1.1 - not the required 3.x.

checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for pwd... /bin/pwd
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
checking version of gcc... 4.1.1, bad
checking for gnumake... no
checking for gmake... gmake
checking version of gmake... 3.81, ok
configure: error:
*** These critical programs are missing or too old:gcc
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.

Dave

carsten

Chris,

I am just looking into setting up the environment. On my Debian etch (which I once upgraded from a sarge), I have
both: gcc-4.1 and gcc-3.3 available. The Debain README says (and I checked that), a gcc-3.3 would do it, if I need
this version. They recommend to do a make CC=gcc-3.3 in such a case. Does this help in any way?

Anyway, I just started the makedev script to see what it will report for me. Give you the result tomorrow...

BR,
Carsten.

Chris

It's crosstool that requires gcc 3 and not 4, so there's nothing I can do about it, except make the script more intelligent to reject gcc 4. There are so many scripts involved that I wouldn't like to say if setting CC=gcc-3.3 in one place would work. I wonder if there is a way for the script to find the gcc version and reject it at the start rather than ploughing half way through crosstool before failing...

carsten

Hey Chris,

just wanted to go to bed and found what we expected:

Quote+ CC=gcc
+ /space/vomp/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/build/powerpc-405-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.2.5/glibc-2.2.5/configure --prefix=/usr --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=powerpc-405-linux-gnu --without-cvs --disable-sanity-checks --with-headers=/space/vomp/crosstool/gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.2.5/powerpc-405-linux-gnu/powerpc-405-linux-gnu/include --enable-hacker-mode
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... powerpc-405-linux-gnu
checking sysdep dirs... sysdeps/powerpc/elf sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux sysdeps/gnu sysdeps/unix/common sysdeps/unix/mman sysdeps/unix/inet sysdeps/unix/sysv sysdeps/unix/powerpc sysdeps/unix sysdeps/posix sysdeps/powerpc/fpu sysdeps/powerpc sysdeps/wordsize-32 sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 sysdeps/powerpc/soft-fp sysdeps/ieee754 sysdeps/generic/elf sysdeps/generic
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for pwd... /bin/pwd
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
checking version of gcc... 4.1.2, bad
checking for gnumake... no
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... make
checking version of make... 3.81, ok
configure: error:
*** These critical programs are missing or too old:gcc
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.

OK, when you tell me it's not possible to overwrite the CC=gcc in the top of the quote, then it will be like this. I am not an expert on cross compiling. But wouldn't a check on ls -l /usr/bin/gcc give something that you could analyze on it's validity?

Carsten.

Chris

The script could use readlink to find the real gcc binary, but I don't know if it's just Debian based distros that do it like that. Also I don't know how many results I would need to check for, i.e. which versions of gcc exist and which are good and bad.

sirwio

Script runs fine on my gentoo development box wich is fairly up to date. Good work!!!

- Magnus

torsten

@carsten:

It is a bug in the crosstool-patches for gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.2.5. They work only with gcc-versions < 4.1. Have a look at a patch with "gcc" and "4.0" in its name. There is a expression like 4.0*. Substitute it with 4.* or 4.[012]*. I am not sure, whether this kind of pattern matching is used. You should give it a try. After the modification of the patch crosstool builds fine.

- Torsten

Harry

success on debian 3.1 (knoppix 3.6) in a QEMU VM.

funny though... i had to configure 256 MB of RAM for the VM.
with only 128 MB (and no swap) the build process stopped
suddenly. can't tell exactly why... but saw a "ar: killed" somewhere
in the text-maze. tried that twice.

well.. what the heck.
cheers
Harry

carsten

Thanks Torsten,

as an alternative, I set up update-alternative and switched so that gcc will use gcc-3.3 now. We will
know this evening, whether it works. I intended to set up a vm with vmware and a Debian sarge
before I understood what update-alternative does and how to configure it for my system.

Looks pretty well for now. At least, it jumped over the bad bad gcc-4.1 thingy...

Regards,
Carsten.