Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Still Problems with my H3 and the new 0.2.6-1

Started by UweHeinritz, February 08, 2007, 17:21:10

Previous topic - Next topic

UweHeinritz

Hello,

because the vompserver 0.2.5 does not work on the MVP H3 I was waiting for the new version.

Mow I downloaded the source and create a debian-package using the new source code and the debian-folder from a 0.2.5-2 source package. I installed the new package and copied the new dongle.bin (downloaded the new 0.2.6 dongle) into the tftp-folder. I also created a dongle.bin.ver.

Then I started the MVP and selelected the vdr-server. Because the MVP found the server without running the mvprelay I think that the new 0.2.6 vompserver is running well (the windows client work also very fine). Then the MVP did a restart and freezes on the screen "loading applications" 3 bars befor end. I tried it more then 10 times and the MVP freezes always at the same time.

I can see in the log-file that the MVP connect to the VDR, then load the dongle.bin.ver and then try to load the dongle.bin. But when loading the dongle.bin I get some messages from the tftpclient (which were not in the 0.2.5) and then the connection get lost.

Here is the Log-File:

11:20:43.648962 [debug]  MVPRelay - MVPRelay request from 192.168.0.4
11:20:43.649048 [debug]  MVPRelay - Sending my IP as c0a800fc
11:20:45.202741 [debug]  Tftpd - Wait finished
11:22:05.196267 [debug]  TftpClient - Client handler started
11:22:05.196405 [debug]  Tftpd - Starting wait
11:22:05.196457 [debug]  TftpClient - RRQ received for dongle.bin.ver
11:22:05.196494 [info]   TftpClient - File: '/usr/share/vdr-plugin-vompserver/dongle.bin.ver'
11:22:05.198865 [debug]  Tftpd - Wait finished
11:22:05.198938 [debug]  TftpClient - Client handler started
11:22:05.199062 [debug]  Tftpd - Starting wait
11:22:05.199108 [debug]  TftpClient - RRQ received for dongle.bin
11:22:05.199143 [info]   TftpClient - File: '/usr/share/vdr-plugin-vompserver/dongle.bin'
11:22:07.395598 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:08.495445 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:08.993353 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:09.595264 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:10.093186 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:10.695097 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:11.193022 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:11.794927 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:12.292852 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:12.894760 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:13.392685 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:13.994595 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:14.492517 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:15.094428 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:15.592350 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:16.194260 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:16.194339 [debug]  TftpClient - Lost connection, exiting
11:22:16.692183 [debug]  TftpClient - Retransmitting buffer
11:22:16.692265 [debug]  TftpClient - Lost connection, exiting

What can I do to get the MVP H3 (not wireless!) running with my VDR (1.4.0 and vompserver 0.2.6-1)?

Kind regards,
Uwe Heinritz.

MartenR

Can someone (maybe Chris)  tell, what this dongle.bin.ver should be? I thought the H3 or wireless only need the normal dongle.bin .
I need to now this for debian package to provide easy installation also for the H3 stuff.

Marten

UweHeinritz

the dongle.bin.ver is a copy from 40bytes beginning with the 52' byte from dongle.bin.
You can create the file with dd -if=./dongle.bin -of=/dongle.bin.ver bs=1 skip=52 count=40 erstellen.

bye, Uwe.

Chris

I forgot about the dongle.bin.ver file. I should be distributing it along with the dongle.bin file. It can be created from the dongle.bin like so:

dd if=dongle.bin of=dongle.bin.ver bs=1 count=40 skip=52

It contains the version number of the dongle software so that a H3 can decide whether to download a new one or use the one in its flash.

Uwe, the log messages are ok. The MVP just isn't acknowledging receipt of the last data block of the dongle. Could you check the revision number of your MVP just to make sure it is H3, apparently there exists H2 and H1 as well. Also, could you watch the link light on the back of your MVP. On mine the sequence is as follows: Power on, link light is off. After the MVP boots into its firmware and says "configuring network device" or whatever, the link light comes on. After "Loading application..." it should go off and then back on again.

This should provide a clue as to whether the dongle kernel is booting or not.

UweHeinritz

Hello,

it is definitly a MVP Rev. H3 (this is printed to the label on the back from the MVP).

I can't take a look to the Link-Light until tomorrow, because I don't have the MVP at home (it is connected to the TV from my brother).

Am I the only one who have this problem?

Bye, Uwe.

Chris

Well you are the first to report it, but it's impossible to tell how many people are trying to use H3s and how many are working. Anyone else had any success with H3s?

UweHeinritz

Hello Chris,

I checked the Link-LED (orange LED) when I start the MVP.

Start MVP -> LED off
Checking Network and Locating Server -> LED on
Loading Applications -> LED on
when the MVP freezes, the LED turns off and after 1 second turns on again.

So I think the dongle.bin is booting but then the MVP does nothing.

Kind regards,
Uwe Heinritz.

Chris

Ok, after the LED comes back on again, give it a few seconds and then see if you can telnet into it.

UweHeinritz

Hello Chris,

after LED turning on again, I could not do a ping to the address and could also not start a telnet session.
Befor turning off the LED I can do a ping to the address. The MVP should have the address 192.168.0.4 and the router say's that there is only this address is used in the network.

Bye, Uwe.

UweHeinritz

Hello,

have anyone a idea for my problem? Is the MVP not booting the dongle? Or get the MVP a other IP from the Router (but why the router say that there is no other device in the network)?

Bye, Uwe.

UweHeinritz

Hallo,
I tested the MVP with a mvpmc-dongle to check if a other ("selfmade") dongle is booting. And with this donfle the MVP was booting. I still could not open a telnet session, but I think this is because the software (from the dongle.bin) did not find a GUI-Server and so the boot-process was not finished.

What did I learned: The MVP do not freeze with the mvpmc-dongle  :o, but I still want to use the vomp-dongle  ;D

Any ideas or thinks what I should try on the MVP?

Bye, Uwe.

sirwio

Hi,

Something fishy here. The mvpmc-dongle DOES NOT require any GUI server to boot. You wrote that you tried with a "selfmade dongle". Why not try with one of the official ones. I have myself used the mvpmc 0.3.1 dongle while troubleshooting some problems and knows for sure that it boots correctly on my H3. Once booted it should be possible to telnet to the box!

Are you sure that you have unplugged the powercoord for at least two minutes before making a boot attempt? ( I recall I mentioned this in a personal message to you a while ago) If I don't do this, my unit won't boot correctly either and experience sort of what you do i.e. a halt in the boot process after three blue bars and rarely also a reboot before it halts.

- Magnus

UweHeinritz

Hello sirwio,

I used also the mvpmc 0.3.1 dongle. I called it a "selfmade" dongle, because it is not a official Hauppauge Dongle using the Hauppauge-Software. Because I do not have any server which the mvpmc-dongle can use there was a message that it did not found a server (after loading applications screen).

And I think that the dongle was not able to finish the boot-proccess because he did not find the server. Should the telnet work without finish booting.

Yes I waited more than 2 minutes untill start the next try.

Bye, Uwe.

tycoon96

hy there,

how far are we in this case, i bought a h3 2 day´s ago and read my brain of at the forums (yours and vdr-portal) but there was no answer.

can anybody help me, moving forward ? i saw the answer from muellerph at the vdr-portal, that there´s an update in the cvs repository, is this fixing the h3 problem ? or is there an workaround somewhere else ?

greets and thx

tycoon96

UweHeinritz

Hello tycoon96,
do you get the same result on the MVP like me (it stops at loading applications, and the Link LED go off and on again)?

So it seems that I'm not the only one with such a problem. But I think there are some H3-Users in the forum where the MVP is working fine with the VOMP (like sirwo).

Eventually can one of the developers can guide us to debug what the MVP is doing to find a solution for this problem.

Bye, Uwe.