Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Picture disruption when playing VDR recording

Started by oholler, August 08, 2005, 13:09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

oholler

Hi,

today I tried to view a VDR Recording using VOMP.
At some points there are a picture disruptions (distorted blocks).
At first I thought this because the original sat stream was distorted.
But the .vdr file plays without any disruption when I use the Hauppauge
dongle 22343 and the mediamvp plugin. When playing the file
using mplayer on windows, the file plays well too.
Any suggestions?

Regards
O. Holler

Chris

How bad are the disruptions? There is one bug about picture disruptions that I know about and I am trying to track down, but it doesn't affect the picture all that much.

oholler

Its quite disturbing. I have attached a picture made with my mobile telephone.
Regards
O. Holler

Chris

Wow, that is quite bad. I've never seen mine do that. Is there any way you could chop enough file out of the vdr file to send me somehow? Are you on broadband?

oholler

I've sent you a private mail containing the file.

Chris

Got the file, thanks. On second thoughts that may well be the bug I am looking for. I am hoping to have a go at the video demuxer this weekend so it might well get fixed then. Does it do that all the way through recordings or live tv? A completely rough guess but I think I get 2 or 3 blips every half an hour.

oholler

I'm just watching another recording. I have got disruptions every 5 to 10 seconds.
Audio is disrupted as well.

Best regards
O. Holler

oholler

So far no improvements with dongle 0.0.7 and latest vompserver.

Chris

Yes, I wasn't expecting 0.0.7 to fix that. It is the next thing I will be doing though. Thanks for sticking with it, I would like to confirm with you that it is fixed, when I fix it :)

Chris

Hi, just to keep you updated, the demuxer developer has found the problem and is working on the solution.

Does this happen on all your channels?

Hoochster

I don't get disruption on channels just recordings, and yes every recording I play it does it in.

ere

I have the picture disruptions also when viewing live channels - but i'm not sure whether this is vomp based or due to the network I use

what are typical ping-response times from the VDR to the MVP in your setups?

-rene

Hoochster

Most likely it is your network causing the issue.  Keep in mind and Chris correct me if I am wrong, you are streaming a full MPEG 1 stream, which is pretty heft in bandwidth.  Would be very sweet if you could somehow using VLC or whatever compress and rebroadcast the bandwidth down for lower network links.  Would make a sweet set-top box for streaming.  I currently use VLC to stream my live tv to work sometimes when I work late.  Would be cool to have some sort of set-top solution for that.  But I am sure that would be much more involved to control the bandwidth output.  But so far I haven't had any pixelation problems doing livetv or recordings since the fix.  But I am on a 100mb network.

ere

acutally I'm also on a 100mb at home but I doubt whether everythin is fine - if I ping the MVP from the VDR (with the MVP waiting on the menu screen) I'm somewhere around 0.500 ms - but at the office with a similar setup I have ping times beeween stations around 0.125 ms - any experience, what normal ping times in a 100mb network should be?

davep

My understanding is that the MVP is 100Mb half-duplex. If your network hub can't autonegotiate to this then you may get excessive packet loss.

Incidentally it is possible to telnet into the MVP and poke around - it's just a stripped-down linux system after all. I'm sure the network interface settings are somewhere in the /proc tree but can't remember where...

Dave