MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Picture disruption when playing VDR recording

Started by oholler, August 08, 2005, 13:09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

You are reading 0.500 ms as half a millisecond I hope... Not half a second?! There's nothing even close to wrong with half a millisecond ping times. And for comparison, I get about 0.320 ms to the MVP and about 0.130 ms to a normal PC. So that says the MVP is a bit slower but nothing to worry about!

The MVP is set to 100Mbps half duplex, yes. Something about the network chip being a bit underpowered and having small buffers compared to a standard network card, so it's actually disabled down to half duplex by the kernel driver for the chip. Not that that is a problem, 100Mb half duplex is fine for the MVP as all the big data transfer is one way. As for the bandwidth used, UK TV channels seem to transmit anything between 2Mbps to 5Mbps, so compared to the (theoretical :) ) 100Mbps available, there is no problem there either.

Rene, if you are using dongle 0.0.8 then the big disruption problem should not exist. Though there are two other issues with the software that cause very slight picture corruptions. The first is on live TV only - prebuffering doesn't work yet, so for the first minute or so the MVP is hard up against the incoming data and occasionally pauses briefly as it runs out of data. This resolves after about a minute or two when the MVP gets far enough behind the incoming stream to always have data available. The second is a demuxer bug that we are still working on, but this should only cause very small regions of the screen to disrupt momentarily, about once every 5-10 minutes.

ere

yes - it's half a millisecond
I did the test with waiting some mintues but it even got worse.

the next thing I will investigate on, is using another (old) machine as server - maybe the one I currently use isn't good enough for streaming (if I remember correctly, it's a 233 ...)