MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Does widescreen switching work?

Started by Chris, April 06, 2006, 15:28:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I just bought a widescreen TV, only to find that vomp doesn't seem able to tell the TV to switch aspect ratio... Anyone else with wide screen switching problems?

riban

Welcome to the world of reduced height TV.

Widescreen switching is fine on my setup. I have the MVP straight into one of the TV SCART connectors and leave the TV set to auto mode. The MVP is set to 16:9.

When I feed a video source (like MVP or DVD) to the TV via another device (like my DTT STB which has 2 SCARTs) the TV aspect ratio switching follows what the inserted box says. (Obvious really. I don't have enough SCARTS on the TV though.)

Walt

Chris

Yeah, there aren't enough scarts on anything.

Actually I calculated what screen size I wanted based on keeping the vertical size the same ;) So now I have a rather big widescreen for this room....

MartenR

I think vomp is working correctly, but there TV manufactures, who think that normal 4:3 should be stretched to 16:9 (most costumers don't want black bars) and they only zoom up letterboxed material (my neighbors tv behaves likes this).

Marten

Chris

Just for future reference, I found the problem. My MVP goes through an electronic SCART switchbox before getting to the TV, and the switchbox doesn't pass SCART pin 8 through, so the signals weren't making it to the TV.

As such I spent some time looking at the WSS standard this evening...... I guess this is something that should be done anyway for any non-SCART users.