Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

VOMP *WITHOUT* MediaMVP?

Started by pvrovernetwork, March 07, 2006, 16:34:52

Previous topic - Next topic

pvrovernetwork

Hello everyone,

This may sound like a strange question, but is it possible to use VOMP on the VDR server side and a *regular Linux PC* (with TV-out) for the client side? i.e. the client PC would take the place of the MediaMVP.

I ask because I have a VDR setup already; my VDR computer is a server in one room and the client is an ultra-quiet Pentium3 PC, all networked with 100 Mbit full-duplex Ethernet.  If I can access my VDR setup with the client (i.e. get access to EPG, live-TV, scheduling, etc), over the network I would be set!

Thanks so much!

Harry

this may not be the answer you are looking for... but
hmm...
you could of course use streamdev (server) and mplayer (client).
as for scheduling and EPG .. vdradmin and a browser are your friends ;)

no idea whether streamdev and VOMP can coexist... just give it a go!

cheers
Harry

Chris

Hi, I thought I would leave this one for a day or two to see if anyone came up with any good alternative solutions for this :) I myself am interested in exactly the same problem. At the moment it is not possible to use vomp on anything other than an MVP, but as I was telling someone else recently I am interested in the idea of porting it to other things. I once had the idea of porting the vomp client vomp to a PC with a DXR3 card, but aside from obtaining a DXR3 from ebay for next to nothing, I havn't done anything with that idea. The problem is the MPEG decoding support as far as I see it (and my limited amounts of time). The MVP solves this by having a built in MPEG decoder - all vomp does is handle data streams. Maybe it would be possible to use some software library and do it all in software but I have never looked into it. Hence the idea with the DXR3 card - decoder built in.

Short answer... No.

:)

MartenR

Maybe the vomp client code can be encapsulated into a DirectShow filter, which pushes the video data to mpeg decoder filter, which every software dvd player installs on your system...

Just a little idea... I had already before for streamdev VTP protocoll...

Marten

Chris

It's an interesting idea, I would like to see it done. But the time I have for vomp must go into the MVP at the moment to complete the feature set that it should have, rather than starting on a windows client. If anyone else wants to take it on  ;D

Looks like someone else is/was having a go at this idea, google for VDRMediaClient. I just had a 5 minute play and got mixed results. Errors, wrong aspect ratio, played at wrong speed etc. But I did get a picture. Then I had another go with VDR Streaming Control which is one I have had success with before, but didn't have any luck at all today.