MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Ok, I give up

Started by Chris, January 20, 2006, 17:36:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Ok, I give up. I now use VDR 1.3 :) VDR 1.3.39, vdradmin 0.97-am3.4.2 + patch for VDR 1.3.38+ to be exact. I had to change it since I got another tuner card and 1.2 crashed all the time. (Anyone seen a reason for this in the vdr history file?)

So unless VDR 1.3 crashes on me, 1.2 is no more. (I'll still support it in vomp for now).

davep

Welcome to the bleeding edge  ;)

What's the patch for vdradmin? I don't recall seeing mention on the vdr mailing list, and am3.4.2 seems to work for me.

Chris

The patch is just that one-liner that you mentioned to fix EPG stuff in vdradmin.

http://www.loggytronic.com/forum/index.php?topic=88.msg452#msg452

Harry

;D glad to see vou've made the jump to 1.3.x !
i'm still too yellow to upgrade *g*
still running 1.3.37.

cheers
Harry

Chris

Surely 37->39 is an easy upgrade!

But huh, recordings don't seem to be sorted alphabetically by VDR anymore... I wonder when that changed.

davep

Quote from: Chris on January 20, 2006, 23:56:46
Surely 37->39 is an easy upgrade!

But huh, recordings don't seem to be sorted alphabetically by VDR anymore... I wonder when that changed.

I mailed you a quick patch for that last week. Not sure when it changed.

Chris

Ha harr. Oops.  ;D

Yep there it is, sat in my inbox. I shall apply it. (I did read it at the time.. :))

But, VDR 1.2 sorted them alphabetically and then by start time, would you mind if I altered your patch to do that? How does VDR display them on its own menus?

Thanks for the patch.

davep

This is what I get on the SVRDP interface from 1.3.39:

# cd /dave/DVB/DVB/vdr-1.3.39/
# ./svdrpsend.pl LSTR
220  SVDRP VideoDiskRecorder 1.3.39; Sat Jan 21 15:38:25 2006
250-1 16.01.06 20:58* Balderdash & Piffle
250-2 19.01.06 20:58* Horizon
250-3 20.01.06 20:58* Timewatch
250-4 12.01.06 02:53* Under Laboratory Conditions
250-5 02.01.06 20:58* Balderdash and Piffle
250-6 09.01.06 20:58* Balderdash and Piffle
250 7 19.01.06 23:58* Mark Lawson Talks to Michael Palin
221  closing connection

In other words pretty much random. What order to sort by is personal preference of course (yet another option??). Alphabetic by title then start date seems reasonable.

Chris

I have done alphabetic by title then sort by start time for now. I will probably make it a config option later.

Anyway, onto another matter that I am hoping a vdr 1.3 expert can answer... :)

VDR 1.3 doesn't seem to remove off disk deleted recordings until it runs out of disk space. Is this normal for 1.3? If so, what does VDR report as disk space free? Actual disk space free or diskspace free + space taken by deleted recordings? I have been looking through the history for VDR but havn't come across anything quite like that yet.

Harry

?¿?

AFAIK the recent VDR waits a little after the (user triggered) deletion of a recording
before really deleting it.

from the 1.3.38 changelog:
- Fixed handling the DELETEDLIFETIME when removing deleted recordings. Now
   a deleted recording is retained at least DELETEDLIFETIME seconds before
   actually removing it.
   The value of DELETEDLIFETIME has been changed to 300. So after (possibly
   inadvertently) deleting a recording, there will be at least 5 minutes
   in which it can be recovered (unless a new recording immediately requires
   the disk space). The count starts again at 0 every time VDR is started.

cheers
Harry

Chris

Well that's what I would have expected. But my vdr disk is constantly at about 1GB free now...

davep

I've also noticed recently that disk space doesn't get freed. I run VDR only when needed, and stale recordings are deleted a few minutes after restarting it. I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature - I've never got close to filling the disk to find out what happens then. If files are only deleted when the free space is almost exhausted, the disk could become badly fragmented after a while.

Harry

in that case i'll have to deny testimony.
no... seriously.. i have no idea :(

1.3.40 changelog doesn't contain issues related
to disk space :(