MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Drop support for VDR 1.2 ??

Started by Chris, January 05, 2006, 19:43:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Does anyone other than me still use VDR 1.2 and if so, why?

My reason is that I tried VDR 1.3 a couple of times and it wasn't too successful and I haven't done anything about it since. I don't use the VDR frontend so there is no impetus to change.

Ayes and nays for dropping support for VDR 1.2 ?

davep

I had the opposite experience; 1.2 was tricky and 1.3 much more stable. However I came in fairly late in the 1.3.x series and the earlier ones may have been worse.

1.3.x is still officially regarded as 'experimental' of course. I wonder if it would be best to maintain compatibility with both 1.2 and 1.3 until the stable 1.4 is released, then drop 1.2 and track 1.5.x on an experimental-only basis? Of course if there was a must-have feature which was only available using 1.3 (or no-one was still using 1.2) then the jump could be made earlier.

Schnurps

I am still using VDR 1.2.6 and have made the same experiences with VDR 1.3 as Chris - it is not working stable for me, and I have no advantages because i just use VOMP/vdr-backend and not the vdr-frontend. There are too big changes from subversion to subversion. I will give it a try when Klaus has released VDR 1.4. (Ate the moment there is only one thing i am missing with vdr 1.2: autoPID).

So please do NOT drop support for VDR 1.2!!!

Schnurps

Harry

can't really say....
i'm using 1.3.37 ... and it's sort of stable.
no VDR frontend here either... i'm using VDR for recording/streaming only.
every now and then... there's a little glitch. but... hey...
i'm also a windoze user and hence used to these kind of 'disturbances'.
so: neither an aye nor a nay from me. that wasn't very helpful. i know  ;D

cheers
Harry

P.S my VDR does _not_ run 24/7

riban

I use 1.2.6. I had some problems with 1.3 (although those issues wouldn't be a problem now).  1.2.6 is still the stable version so it makes sense to use it where reliability is required. (My wife gives me a hard time if the video fails.)

Walt

kdeiss

1.2 x is the stable branch. Why dropping support for it now ?

greets

Klaus

Chris

I don't now intend to drop support for 1.2 while it is still the "stable" branch. Though since I got a second tuner card I found out just how unstable 1.2 is with it, and how stable 1.3 is with it. I am now a 1.3 customer myself.... :)