MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Mounting network file system on MVP

Started by riban, July 13, 2005, 22:03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

riban

Great work! I have been working toward doing this for a while and am glad you have started it. (Saves me a lot of work.) Looking good so far and with all (mostly) the same goals as I had.

It would be good if one could mount an NFS share on the MVP to assist with testing and developing but I couldn't do that with your latest dongle. I will try with another dongle when I get home but could you add this facility? I have not managed to get a working cross compiler yet which is why I still haven't produced ANY code for the MVP! When (if) I do, I'd like to be able to try a few things which would be easiest if the compiled object code could be run from NFS. I couldn't think of a way of transferring a file to the MVP.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to assisting where possible when I have a working development bed.

Walt

Chris

Hi, thanks for the positive review! The dongles I put on my web site are designed to be lean mean stripped down use-only versions of the program. I actually develop using exactly what you describe, a NFS root file system on the MVP. So, thanks for your post, this should give me exactly the push I needed to document/release my development environment. That would be, how to set up the cross compiler, how to build the client for dongle and non-dongle versions, how to build the kernel for the MVP for nfs-root and dongle and how to get all the server services working properly (DHCP/TFTP/NFS). It's been on the list for a while, but now there is someone actually wanting it I might get around to it! :)