MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Default language for Subtitle and Audio track

Started by JTe, October 30, 2012, 17:48:23

Previous topic - Next topic

JTe

Marten, would it be a great effort to add a support for a default language for the subtitle and audio tracks for vomp client? In the beginning it could be made by just adding say a list of three preferred audio and three subtitle tracks (could be set manually at server side conf file because they need not to be changed). Later on when the server side protocol can be touched it could perhaps be integrated with the selections on vdr side.

The question is just a usability issue as for the generation of my parents it seems to be too difficult to choose the correct subtitle or sound track every time manually. The problem is even more difficult because the selected track is now kept from one channel to another, but different channels have different order (and number) of tracks.

Say for example one has set the audio language to German and wants to watch program on French Arte, the German audio track is now second track, not first and French track is first, so the audio will change from German to French!

I think this is the last big usability issue of the vomp client!

MartenR

I have currently no plans to do this.
Anyway, you can set a prefered language and a second and I think also third prefered language on the vdr server side.

Then your prefered selection will be automatically the first one at every channel and in every recording (recorded after this selection).
This is why I never ran into this problem and my parents are happy.
Try this, it will automatically solve your problem.

Marten

JTe

Ok, then the only thing I should implement is to have a possibility to select a "subtitles always on" option, as my problem are the repeating complaints "There are no subtitles on this tv!".

Somehow I suspect that this preferred language does not work for subtitle language ordering as I just checked TV5 and my first subtitle language is Russian, even it should be French. Probably the VDR does not order the subtitle pids like it does with sound, as the subtitles work fine on VDR side but on the Vomp side the order seems to be same independent of the language selection made on VDR side.

To resolve this subtitle problem I was thinking of adding a variable preferredSPid in class Channel and setting it in demuxerts according to preferred list. After that this could be used to check what is preferred language if none. I could give that a try when I have time.

svalavuo

Is there a solution for automatic subtitles?
That same solution should be in Raspberry Pi and MVP.
It would be great to use preferred language & subtitle from server, even though someone could have situation that needs that to be client specific.
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

a1bert

Quote from: MartenR on October 31, 2012, 07:00:00

Anyway, you can set a prefered language and a second and I think also third prefered language on the vdr server side.

Then your prefered selection will be automatically the first one at every channel and in every recording (recorded after this selection).

are you sure it's working like this?

In my setup.conf:

AudioLanguages = cze slv eng
UpdateChannels = 3 (update names+pids)

vdr does not put  preferred lang on the first place in channels.conf (not sure if it should):

..changing pids of channel 681 from 0+0=0:0:0:0 to 597+597=2:830=hun@4,1830=cze@4:0:0..

new recordings info file:

X 2 03 hun
X 2 03 cze
X 2 03 eng

vdr itself (xineliboutput) behaves corectly: always selects cze lang, but vomp on rasp not... I get HUN language for both live & recordings (and together with nonworking color buttons on LG CEC it's a show stopper for me...)

any sugestions ??

MartenR

Assign other buttons for the color buttons....
I am not sure if vomp obeys the preferred order....

Marten

a1bert

unfortunately no spare buttons (forwarded by CEC) on LG  :(

MartenR

Then you should get an alternative remote with USB.
Also try changing some CEC related settings on the LG, sometimes the options regarding cec are not very well described ...
Without colour buttons you will not be happy with vomp.

Marten

MartenR

Ok, the subtitles people were successful with requesting this feature.......
It is now part of the tvscraper branch of vomp http://forum.loggytronic.com/index.php?topic=753.0 .
But be aware, that I changed many features, so expect some segfaults, since I did not spot the majority of them...

It works the following way, vomp reads in the current setting of the server when it connects. It recognizes subtitle and audio languages as well if subtitles are on by default or not.

Marten