Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Translation Efforts

Started by Chris, November 12, 2005, 17:35:40

Previous topic - Next topic

kml

Chris

Thanks for the latest updates. But there is more to do! I have put translation spaces in for everything I could find that wasn't translating properly and here is the result. New phrases are needed for all languages. :)

Schnurps

Addet German Translations.
One String is missing (no good idea), and i am not sure what is the best translation for "Current" here. Any suggestions by the other Germans here in the board? :-)

Yours,
Schnurps

Harry

haengt vom zusammenhang ab. ohne diesen zu kennen, ist's ein wenig schwierig.

depends on the context.
if this indicates a recording in progress then
"Aktuell" or "Läuft" would be adequate.

cheers
Harry

P.S Who's gonna win the cup?

Chris

It means that the time slot for the timer is now, nothing more. So current could = yes, but active = no therefore recording = no. Also, current could = yes, active = yes, but you don't have enough tuners so recording = no.

Harry

ah, i get it.

however...this is tricky to translate.
"Aktuell" would make the most sense since there's not unlimited
space available for the letters.

Active would be "Aktiv" or "Aktiviert" and
"Recording" "Aufnahme läuft" (too bad we don't have a
progressive form in german!)

muellerph

How about "Jetzt".
If it is about the timer then "Jetzt" which translates to "now" in english would fit as well. No?

Chris, wouldn't then be "now" more accurate anyway as you use it here for explaining the text too?

Harry

"Jetzt" is not so bad either.

however... question at hand is here that a user, who has never
seen the interface before, understands the table at first sight.
hmm... not even sure if this is so clear in english with "Current" ....*g*
as i said.. expressing that the time frame for a recording has been reached
with only one word is tricky in german.
...hehe.... but it's unlikely that the future of VOMP depends on this. ;)

MartenR

Maybe you can use "aufnehmend", it is the german equivalent to recording.

Schnurps

Thanks for that - I think "jetzt" is the best choice.

Do you have a translation for "TCP receive window size"?
What is the difference between "receive window" and "buffer"?
Is "TCP-Empfangspuffergröße" correct?

Schnurps

MartenR

"TCP-Empfangsfenstergröße" is better, because it means not a buffer size but a window size in order to decide, when a packet has to be resended.

Marten

posde

Hi,

just a small input for someone who had to endure a good number of bad translations. Please do not translate technical english words.

A "TCP Receive Window Size" should IMHO not be translated, same as you rarely see the word motherboard be translated into Hauptplatine.

Just my €0.02

rgds
posde

Schnurps

Here is an updated language-file with some improvements to the german translation.

@Chris: When will the next version arrive? These days it is very quiet in the forums (due to the hot temperature) - but i am very exited about the future of vomp and esp. the windows-client. :-)

Schnurps

Chris

Thanks for the translation work. I don't know when the next version will be around, it's been so long now since I really looked at the to-do list that I can't even remember what will be in it ;)
My job has been keeping me very busy recently and I have had practically no time for vomp for a long time now. Currently I am away from home on a long trip away for work, so no updates in the near future...

Having said that though, for anyone interested - the CVS version of vompclient now contains a UDP server that can receive remote button presses over the network. i.e. you send a couple of bytes of data at a UDP port on the MVP and it will be exactly as if a particular remote button was pressed. The port number is 2000, the 1 or 2 bytes to send are the ASCII text (not null terminated) of the numbers listed in remote.h for the various buttons.

dingo35

I updated current cvs-version with Dutch texts; hope this can be included in next release?

Thanks, Hans.