MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

SOLVED - vompclient ui freeze when exiting live tv

Started by sirwio, September 15, 2012, 20:40:51

Previous topic - Next topic

sirwio

Been playing around with the git vompserver for the last days (since it is needed to play with vompclient-raspi).
Since my "old" media-mvp dongles are incompatible with the latest git vompserver I has compiled new dongle using head of git as well.

What I do have problem with is that the UI freeze when one exits live tv almost 100% of the times. I must admit that this happens occasionally in my stable rig as well but much, much less frequent.

A bit troublesome is that if one kill all the vompclient processes it will cause a segfault on the vompserver side as well when there has been a freeze.

Attached are two log files. One from the vompclient and then one of the crash of the vompserver.
From the vompclient-freeze log file the first exit was fine but the second failed. The exits where initiated by pressing the stop button (Button 54).

MartenR

Well, the log reminds me of a bug I fixed for the rasbian branch.
Please try if the raspbian variant solves the problem (you need to set the compiling target in GNUMakefile).
But I do not know if it compiles in the moment.
If it does not compile, just change the threadp implementation (threadp.cc and thread.h).

Marten

sirwio

I did actually try that already and it didn't resolve the issue. There were only minor changes required to get it to compile. Don't recall me doing any change in the threadp implementation though so it may be that I didn't patch it correctly. Will take another look at threadp.cc

One change that I'm not too sure about if it was correct was to change the CLOCK_MONOTONIC -> CLOCK_REALTIME as argument to clock_gettime.

Will continue to test over the day to see if I spot anything.

sirwio

SOLVED - Turns out its the vdr version that is causing the freeze.

Remember I mentioned that we got occasional freezes on our stable rig as well. Turns out that when the stable rig got updated to run vdr 1.7.30 it got the same kind of issues. Reverting back to ver 1.7.25 resolves the problem.

With vdr 1.7.25 on the raspi rig in now performs as expected with both mvp clients and raspi clients. Will monitor stability over the next following days.

A guess is that the streaming format got changed in versions post 1.7.25 that the vompclient software does not account for.

MartenR

QuoteA guess is that the streaming format got changed in versions post 1.7.25 that the vompclient software does not account for.
Well the main change is that with the patch for 1.7.27, all pids get streamed, not only the one which we process.
So it is likely that a bug in the demuxer redirects some pakets wrong.
I found a similar bug redirecting teletext to ac3 audio yesterday.

Marten

svalavuo

Is  there a patch for vompserver or how can I solve this?
I'm using vdr 1.7.33 and had to compile vompserver by myself (binary from repo crashed on start).
Vompserver is 0.3.1.3-11yavdr6
MVP works (it boots up, starts TV automatically and plays nicely open TV channel (and teletext etc)), but when I change channel or try to exit, the whole thing just freezes.
Sometimes (after looooooooong wait) MVP reports "Connection Lost" and I can reconnect, but the behaviour is the same.
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

CamKrist

Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
Don't waste your time if you want to find excellent term papers writing service, order here http://prime-essay.com/

sirwio