MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Vompclient-raspi

Started by davep, August 30, 2012, 18:22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

davep

Is the Raspberry Pi client on git.vomp.tv working, ie able to show recordings?

I've compiled the code on my up-to-date Raspbian installation (with hardware MPEG2 enabled). The client connects to the vdr server and I can see the OSD. However when I try to play a recording all I see is the console screen with the OSD time-bar at the bottom. The logs seem to show the client downloading data from the server and handing it on to the display, but eventually error messages "Deliver MediaPacket no free sample" appear.

Incidentally, while working through the logs I noticed another error - "TCP - Too many reads" at the point where playback is started. This seems to be caused by the TCP window size, which on the MVP was set to 2048 bytes because of its very limited buffer space. On the RPi I suggest it is not necessary to limit TCP in this way, and commenting out the code cleared the error with no obvious ill effects.

Dave

MartenR

QuoteIs the Raspberry Pi client on git.vomp.tv working, ie able to show recordings?
Yes, but without audio. (I will code this on the next weekend) At least on my machine.

QuoteI've compiled the code on my up-to-date Raspbian installation (with hardware MPEG2 enabled). The client connects to the vdr server and I can see the OSD. However when I try to play a recording all I see is the console screen with the OSD time-bar at the bottom. The logs seem to show the client downloading data from the server and handing it on to the display, but eventually error messages "Deliver MediaPacket no free sample" appear.
Please post the logs for a small sample, then I can see what is failing. Did you try, if mpeg2 playback was working with omxplayer.
(Very important the GPU needs to have enough memory, please select a 128 MB/128 MB split, this might change later, when I switch to openvg).

QuoteIncidentally, while working through the logs I noticed another error - "TCP - Too many reads" at the point where playback is started. This seems to be caused by the TCP window size, which on the MVP was set to 2048 bytes because of its very limited buffer space. On the RPi I suggest it is not necessary to limit TCP in this way, and commenting out the code cleared the error with no obvious ill effects.
This was added because we had problems in heterogeneous networks with streaming. I.e. when 100 Mbit was converted to 10 MBit. Similar things might happen with 100 MBit to 1 GBit transitions. I suggest that rather than uncommenting it to change the corresponding option in the menu.
(Btw. network problems on the raspi can be related to a bad power supply).

Marten

davep

OK it works when I change the Pi to 128/128 memory mode. I was running 192/64 which is enough for oxmplayer.

Thanks for the hint, looking forward to further developments.

Dave

MartenR

QuoteIncidentally, while working through the logs I noticed another error - "TCP - Too many reads" at the point where playback is started. This seems to be caused by the TCP window size, which on the MVP was set to 2048 bytes because of its very limited buffer space. On the RPi I suggest it is not necessary to limit TCP in this way, and commenting out the code cleared the error with no obvious ill effects.
Today, I recognized while playing back a recording, that you are right and it is indeed a bad setting.
I made a very big window size now the default on raspberry pi.
Thanks for spotting this.

Marten