MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

UTF-8 hack for Vomp client

Started by JTe, February 17, 2012, 19:56:35

Previous topic - Next topic

hondansx

What is the right way now that all german umlauts are shown right on the rasperry?

1. vdr env should be utf-8?
2. l10n/main-de should be utf-8?
3. rasp-vompclient env should be utf-8?

Any hints would be great, because on rasp-client side all umlauts are broken for me.
GA-EP43 | headless | 1xCineS2 Dual | 1xSkystar 2.6D | VDR 1.7.37 
Frontend: 1xRasperry | 1xION3

JTe

1) VDR env (and then also VDR fonts) should be UTF8. This will effect timers, file names and epg information. If you did use the ISO fonts before you should manually change the fonts of your recordings and the epg data of recordings to UTF 8 and delete your old timers file at:

/var/lib/vdr/timers.conf

You can convert vdr file names (recording names) to UTF8 by running the following command in the recordings directory:

convmv --notest -r -f latin1 -t utf-8 .

You can convert the epg-information of recordings (the vdr.info file contents) to UTF8 by running the following command in the recordings directory:

for i in `find . -name info.vdr` ; do cp -a $i $i.pre-utf8 && iconv -f latin1 -t utf-8 $i.pre-utf8 > $i && rm $i.pre-utf8 ; done

2)  l10n/main-de of the vompserver plugin should be in UTF8. Currently you have to do this manually. This will effect the German translations of VOMP menus, etc.

cp main-de main-de-iso ; iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 <main-de-iso >main-de

3) This is to make the raspi vomp client fonts to UTF8.

Can you precise if the umlauts are broken in menu texts (case 2 above) or in epg information & recordings (case 3 above)?

MartenR

Quote2)  l10n/main-de of the vompserver plugin should be in UTF8. Currently you have to do this manually. This will effect the German translations of VOMP menus, etc.
Are you sure? The l10n files in git are definitely in UTF8. May be some setting in the git configuration is wrong.

The second thing is, you should not need to switch to the vdr to UTF8 (but I recommend it). vomp should in this case use the native charset and convert it to UTF 8 on the server side.
If this is not the case, we should debug it.

Marten

JTe

Ok, I must have been building and installing only the server binary and not a full package with l10 files (so I must have the old l10 files installed).

Yes  you are right in not needing to change the VDR to UTF8 to run the vomp, but at least with the version 1.7.27 VDR menus with umlauts (on VDR side, not vomp) did not work with the ISO-fonts with the skins I was using (so nothing to do with vomp, more like with the vdr itself). Because of this  I have never tried to run the VDR server & vomp with ISO fonts, but I assume it works (anybody tested this?)

hondansx

Hey Guys thanks for the input.

I will give a try

hondansx

I have updated the l10n Directory and now the menu umlauts are okay on my rasperry (and on my mvp too)
So I can leave my vdr in iso.;-)