Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Locating Server

Started by zapp, October 02, 2005, 21:59:03

Previous topic - Next topic

ekluba

Hi Chris.

If the configured behaviour is the same the different behaviour at runtime may appear because of timing considerations. Perhaps the following test results may help:

The mvp in our studio works fine. Another mvp in our cellar forever did "Loading application" followed by "Failure to .. GUI ..". And this didn't change after both mvps were exchanged.  Studio worked. Cellar didn't.

Both mvps were connected to different switches. A third switch exchanged the one in the cellar. Same problem. Then the mvp in the cellar was directly connected to the main switch of the household. And it worked fine.

(All switches are 10/100 Mbps or above. All mvps are H4. vdr is an up-to-date tobi (including vomp).)

Other devices - PCs - don't have problems while connected to the respective switches. No problems playing vdr video recordings with vlc.

Speculation:
Is it possible that vomp-client is timed out by other equipment? Perhaps because this equipment uses full duplex while vomp-client uses half duplex?

Greetings
ekluba.

hondansx

@ekluba

Speculation:
Is it possible that vomp-client is timed out by other equipment? Perhaps because this equipment uses full duplex while vomp-client uses half duplex?

You could test this dongle from here http://forum.loggytronic.com/index.php?topic=358.0
which have included the Full Duplex Patch.

Walter
GA-EP43 | headless | 1xCineS2 Dual | 1xSkystar 2.6D | VDR 1.7.37 
Frontend: 1xRasperry | 1xION3

Chris

ekluba, I'm not sure why you're getting such results. As I understand it, any auto-sensing 10/100Mb switch should have the capability to deal with some devices being on half-duplex while others are on full-duplex.

Also, whether trying a full-duplex patched dongle would help depends on where in the boot up sequence it is failing. As fas as I can remember (it's a long time since I saw the Hx boot up sequence) "Loading Application" is displayed when the MVP is on the built in firmware and it is tftping a new dongle. So the new dongle code would not have started running by then, and the Hx would be in whatever duplex mode Hauppauge decided to run it in. As I remember, if it displays "Failure to locate GUI server" then it hasn't even started tftping a dongle.

As for the duplex question, I think that half duplex was selected by someone at the MVPMC project because the network chip in the MVP was not really capable of full duplex, and they had good reasons for it. I am guessing that this doesn't apply to Hx MVPs since so many people seem to prefer full duplex.

MartenR

QuoteAs for the duplex question, I think that half duplex was selected by someone at the MVPMC project because the network chip in the MVP was not really capable of full duplex, and they had good reasons for it. I am guessing that this doesn't apply to Hx MVPs since so many people seem to prefer full duplex.
@Chris
I think, the full duplex patch is nowadays included in mvpmc.
Actually the reason for half duplex  was that the driver in the kernel hauupauge supplied was only capable of halfduplex and they needed to backport a new driver.

Marten

ekluba

Hi hondansx.

Thank you for the hint on the full duplex patch of the vompclient. Maybe I will give it a try in the future.

For now I am more interested to stabilize the loading process. And - as Chris pointed out - it is the Haupauge firmware which is responsible for the half duplex settings. So I will first try to update the Hauppauge firmware and then or additionally try to find out which network settings or hardware characteristics are responsible for the loading problems.

@all
I will report on the results.

Kind regards
ekluba.