News:

Latest versions:
Server plugin: 0.5.1
MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Request for feature.. Mencodering live TV.

Started by rdoac, August 31, 2009, 02:53:30

Previous topic - Next topic

rdoac

I have been playing around with mencoder and the media option in vomp for a while now.  Have hacked test1.sh quite a lot and got all sorts of interesting things happening.  I will probably look into converting some of xbmc's plugins to vomp at some point.  However, I got to thinking about HD and Vomp. 

Could we have an option, maybe flaggable in the config file, that instead of just sending the stream to the mvp, sends it transcoded via a script like test1.sh?

So, for instance, if the channel has only Dpids and no Apids, as all US ATSC now has, then we can Mencoder the stream and convert the audio on the fly, or an HD Only channel could be Mencodered into a format which the Vomp could handle.  Similarly, HD recordings could be.  (Although the individual VDR files can be sent through the Media option now.)

I'm also in the process of converting all my PAL recordings to NTSC now I'm living in Obamaland.  Otherwise I can only hear them.  I think someone needs to tell these US chaps that RGB is better than SVideo and miles better than a single yellow video cable.  But I suspect that's outside the scope of this forum.

avvdr

Hi rdoac,
in principle you can already do that (not really elegant...) - just activate streamdev-server and create a list with the channels+urls to be read with the mediaplayer.
By having some strange extension you can easily pipe them through mencoder.
It's some overkill:
vdr-streamdev->TCP->wget->PIPE->mencoder->PIPE->vompserver->TCP-vomp
But anyway it works (tried this for fun some time ago).

It's not really seamlessly integrated...
If you would like to do some hacking on the server side...
- increase the number of channels for the mediaprovider to e.g. 3
- for the sending side maybe a simple TCP-socket-server just sending out the activated stream
- plugin an appropriate call to some mediaprovider code (having the socket address encapsulated into an url)
But it's some bigger work

Regards
Andreas

rdoac

@avvdr

Yup, I already did that.  But it's not elegant and not granny proof (which is my criteria where I'm living at the moments (with the in laws having just relocated). ).

I have both stream and streamdev extension, one just cats the output to vomp, the other through mencoder.

Some mencoder ideas could be good as I don't think I get great quality, but it's good enough.

rdoac

Been thinking about this a little more.  In the US Teletext doesn't exist.  What about an option to change Teletext to Transcode.  You click the transcode button and the current stream is cat'd through a script like test1.sh?

I suppose this could be an optional button in case euro people want hd tv on their vomp's.