Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Vomp for Windows and CoreAVC?

Started by dingo35, July 05, 2009, 10:15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo35

Marten,

Suppose I would like to enhance Vomp for Windows in such a way that it could replay vdr h.264 ts-files, would it be possible to have it use the CoreAVC decoder? Would it be simply reconnecting the CoreAVC decoder with graphedit?

I understand things would have to be done in the (re-)muxing area, it's the graphical part of windows I'm not familiar with...

MartenR

Actually, I do not know, it depends on the point, if the coreavc supports the vmr9 capabilities, since the windows implementation relies heavily relies on this.
Also large part of the graphical part have to be rewritten so that bigger surfaces are handled, also it have to be repacked to directshow samples, so it is clearly more than just connecting another filter. The biggest problems with Directshow are mostly with the not so clear documentation.

I found another codec (mpeg2 and  h264), it is part of the mpc hc project, open source, and might be a solution with some compatibility issues, I had the last time with commercial decoders...

Marten

dingo35

The advantage of CoreAVC would be that it enables the use of elder computers on replaying H264 content (it is _really_ efficient), and that it is very cheap ($15,- or so, for which you receive updates for a while too!).

Googling around, I stumbled upon this:

"Well I think I've resolved the problem. In order to use CoreAVC with VMR9 without getting washed out colors and jittering I had to force RGB32 and disable VMR Mixing Mode. Now it looks good.

Any idea why CoreAVC doesn't play well with VMR Mixing Mode?"

This would mean that CoreAVC supports some vmr9 capabilities, but not the VMR Mixing Mode. Would that be a problem?

MartenR

No vomp uses VMR9Mode_Renderless mode, so that should be no problem. By the way the mpc hc decoder supports hardware accelerated h264 playback too and it has the advantage, that in case of troubles, we can look in the source code.

Look, through videowin.cc and try to understand the different mechanismen there, it is the heart of the directshow stuff.

Marten

carsten

Hi,

anything going on here? I am also quite interested and wondered whether I could start looking at it, although
the chances that I produce code are pretty bad...

I will also try to ask Mr. QT-Vomp whether it could be easier to use VDPAU in his version.

BR,
Carsten.

MartenR

I am currentöy working on h264 support, but since I started just two weeks ago, expect several month for the h264 support to finish...

Marten

dingo35

To all who stumble on this in the archives: the HD vomp for windows alpha version works with CoreAVC 2.0