Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Sharing replay position in mixed client environment

Started by maf, September 28, 2008, 15:41:02

Previous topic - Next topic

maf

Hello,

How can I configure all my clients (MediaMVPs, standard VDR PCs) to share replay positions? I.e., if I stop playing a recording on a MediaMVP, how can I continue to watch the recording from that spot onwards on another MediaMVP or VDR PC client and vice versa?

Thanks, Malte

Chris

Unfortunately this is currently not possible - the resume positions are saved in the per-mvp config files on the server. Is there anyone else that would want this to work the other way around?

muellerph

Hi Chris,

for myself not, but in the german forum I've seen some requests http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=69824&threadview=0&hilight=vomp+wohnzimmer&hilightuser=0&page=10.
I'm just curious how it should react, when 2 persons are watching the same recording at the same time. One of the proposals was to have a second entry: resume from server.

Chris

It wouldn't be technically difficult to do, but it gets a lot more complicated when you consider how to design the UI part of it. Do you ask the user every time whether to save to local or server level ... Then ask again at resume time... Or do you enforce it per server - but then where do you put the UI for that selection? What happens when someone changes the master selection? As usual with ideas for vomp - the back end would be not too difficult to do, but the UI would get complicated quickly, much reducing the ease of use that I like to keep in vomp.

maf

VDR uses the concept of a "Resume ID", e.g. see http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/VDR_User%27s_Manual:
QuoteDefines an additional ID that can be used in a multi user environment, so that every user has his/her own resume files for each recording. The valid range is 0...99, with 0 resulting in a file named 'resume.vdr', and any other value resulting in 'resume.n.vdr'.
Each resume ID > 0 can be used to designate a single user or a group of users (or a single client or group of clients) that do not want to share the default global resume position.

The VDR default resume ID is 0. The VOMP default could be nil, meaning to use the resume position stored in the config file, so nothing would change for the casual user. With a single additional configuration option, the resume ID could be changed to 0 (or any other value used by others in the local network), and VOMP would switch to using the resume position(s) utilized by VDR.
Malte