MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Vomp for PCH

Started by stu-e, May 21, 2008, 09:39:45

Previous topic - Next topic

stu-e

Is anybody else following what is going on here?
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=2190

*Scratches chin and ponders "VompHD"*

muellerph

Yes, at least I'm following this development.

The issue is here that they need to play all files via another application from the NMT. All lists, osd, ... is from the native mvpmc application, but playing the file/data itself is handled by this Syabas application.

So I don't think they are able to have live-tv, they can just play back the recordings.

They constantly request more details about how to play natively, but till now they didn't get any feedback from Syabas.

So yes it would be an HD device in the future, but currently only for recording.

BTW:
In the forum emveepee states "vomp is more a fork of mvpmc and it is another fat client not a server."

Vomp is definitely also a server - as it consists of both client and server as it has it's own protocol..
For VDR the vompserver is (AFAIK) the only 1-n streaming server available. Streamdev-server is only 1-1.

Also:
For sure a simple connection to vompserver will never work without adjusting the protocol used, as the protocol is completely proprietary. Login, listing of recordings, starting a stream and the stream itself (ok, Chris said once the stream itself is similar to streamdev - i haven't touched this code till now)

stu-e

Here's hoping they release at least the GPL'd parts of the PCH firmware sourcecode
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=4145&sid=a94b39732a8ffa8712988e92d124b533

Surely that would greatly accelerate user app development on the PCH.

muellerph

If this is the case, then I'm going to buy one soon after the release of the sources.

For all interested.
There is now the possibility to directly import from US into EU taxfree as long as the total invoice is below €150,-.
This is for total shipments/imports per day. So don't order 2 things at the same time.

The current price is $179. With taxes, credit card and shipping cost you will get to around $220-225.

With current exchange rate $1,60 per € you get to ~140€.
This is much lower than the €220 you need to pay at the e.g. distributor in Germany.

MartenR

I am also following the NMT stuff of the  mvpmc team with great interest. But as muellerph said, a port of vomp would only be make sense, if they figure out how to replace the dependency on the mono binary. But I how jon gettler will make this (see http://www.mvpmc.org/~gettler/plugin.html), since he had done this already on the mvp.
The mvp client architecture does not allow to give the complete stream to a third programm, since the vomp client also handles the demuxing.

The is also a some few point, which also applies to potential HDTV playback in the windows client:
1) I need some free tv HDTV broadcast in the german cable network, otherwise I can not test anything and swithout content I am not interesting in programming HDTV support. (At least ARD, ZDF should start broadcasts)
2) Klaus have to be finished the HDTV support in the VDR 1.7 branch, otherwise the file format is not fixed.

If these points are met development and a port to NMT stuff would make sense for me, since the vomp code is relative portable, it should not be so hard to port it then to the NMT.

QuoteFor all interested.
There is now the possibility to directly import from US into EU taxfree as long as the total invoice is below €150,-.
This is for total shipments/imports per day. So don't order 2 things at the same time.
Be careful, so far as I now this rule start in germany from the 1.12.2008, so you have to wait.

Marten