MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Questions and Crashings with some Decrypted Channels

Started by neosat, March 06, 2008, 04:20:53

Previous topic - Next topic

neosat

Hello to all paople first of all and a big thanks to the creator of vomp for his great work.

I would like to point some questions to our experience friends:

How many MediaMVP's can work in a 100Mbit wired network?
I am trying to play some mkv (HD files) and avi (xvid files) with Media Player but it does not recognize the format.

I am using vomp for a wile now and even I have upgrade to the latest version I still has problems with uncleared encrypted channels.

I have an original subscription card on my VDR which decodes a number of channels, If I try to open a channel that is not supported from my card my MediaMVP crashes and I need to power off and on to recover. This happens also sometimes if my original card fail to open a channel for reason.

Any ideas please?

Regards

Neosat
My configuration:
vdr-1.4.6 with CVS streamdev-server
and Vomp server and dongle 0.2.7 downloaded from the site

muellerph

Quote from: neosat on March 06, 2008, 04:20:53
How many MediaMVP's can work in a 100Mbit wired network?
We have 3 here and don't have any issues. So the question is what may be max?
This for sure depends on the bandwith of the program your are looking.

I would say a 100Mb/s network is find till 70-80Mb/s. And the may we get in Germany via satelite is 8Mb/s at the moment. This would bring us to 7-8 MVPs, but again assuming it is max per channel. If you use DVB-T the bandwith is 3Mb/s so you could have up to 20 - 25MVPs concurrent MVPs.

I'm unsure if anybody would really have such a high number of MVPs at 1 VDR.

Schnurps

Quote from: muellerph on March 06, 2008, 09:31:15
I would say a 100Mb/s network is find till 70-80Mb/s. And the may we get in Germany via satelite is 8Mb/s at the moment. This would bring us to 7-8 MVPs, but again assuming it is max per channel. If you use DVB-T the bandwith is 3Mb/s so you could have up to 20 - 25MVPs concurrent MVPs.
I suppose, this could be maximized, if you connect the VDR with Gigabit to the switch. :-)
Here are running 4 MVPs without any problems.

(I have problems with non-available channels every now and then... - but i've never testet encryptet channels)

neosat

Unfortunatly my switch is a 10/100Mbits at the momment. My VDR server is 1GBit though.

About encrypted channels problem:
After reading the forum I have read that some dongle files are out that can eliminate the problem with encrypted channels.

I am planning to upgrade to HD dvb2 cards soon so a good upgrade of the network would be superb.

Schnurps

I don't think that your MVP is able to play hd-content - not because of the vomp-software, but because of the hardware-mpeg-decoder.

neosat

I know, I hope that soon hauppauge will introduce a new version of MVP with HD. I will have as a HD clients other VDR's wth streamdev.
Thats where Digital TV is going to. HD all the way

Chris

It depends on what exactly is happening to the MVP when you view a channel that crashes it, but the next version of vomp will have a totally rewritten live tv system that will hopefully fix all these problems.