Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

aspect ratio fixed to 4:3 ?

Started by dingo35, January 03, 2008, 15:28:11

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo35

Hi all,

I am enjoying the new 0.2.7-3 windows version of vompclient, but I noticed on my new 16:9 screen that the aspect ratio seems to be fixed to 4:3 , even when having chosen 16:9 in the settings menu.

When watching 16:9 streams, this leads to "tall people" on TV, because the picture is stretched vertically to fit into the 4:3 window.

This problem arises both in windowed as in full screen mode.

I use MPV and MPA video codecs.

Am I the only one experiencing this? How can I get the 16:9 streams correctly on my 16:9 screen?

Thanks!

PS: Just found out that vompclient reacts as I would expect when choosing the settings: TV aspect ratio 4:3 , letterbox. Is it me that I don't understand the settings, or are 16:9 and 4:3 switches reversed?

MartenR

Hi,
the behaviour of vomp for windows is in the following way. The aspect ratio means the aspect ratio of the pixel. All actual monitor for computer have pixel suitable for 4:3.
The 16:9 switch is only for the case, if you want to connect a tv in anamorphic mode, then 16:9 would be right.
I have myself an 16:10 monitor and for the monitor 4:3 is the right setting.

Marten

dingo35

Hi Marten, thanks for your quick and to-the-point response.

I understand your answer, but without this explanation the unknowing user will not understand this menu-item correctly.

Would it perhaps be better to have the menu-items change from:
1) 4:3
2) 16:9

to:
1) PC or 4:3 TV
2) 16:9 TV  ?

Or, other, even better possibility, since connecting a 16:9 TV through TV out will also need the PC setting, and VOMP for windows will always be running on a windows PC, disable the 16:9 setting altogether?

Best regards, Hans.

MartenR

QuoteWould it perhaps be better to have the menu-items change from:
1) 4:3
2) 16:9
At the moment, these options are in the main vomp core, which is shared between windows and mvp, but I'm working on a method to make the options more distinct for the different client, then I will think about it.

QuoteOr, other, even better possibility, since connecting a 16:9 TV through TV out will also need the PC setting, and VOMP for windows will always be running on a windows PC, disable the 16:9 setting altogether?
No, this would not be nice, nice maybe some PC users plug a TV onto their PC or a 16:9 beamer, then the option will make sense.

Marten