Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Patch: Scrolling long EPG description

Started by muellerph, November 14, 2007, 23:42:43

Previous topic - Next topic

muellerph

Hello,

as promissed in the wishlist, here the first post of the scrollable EPG description window for review/test/comments.

Usage:
The Dialogbox calculates if the text is too long to fit on the screen and in case it is longer it displays a (rudimentary) scrollbar and you can scroll with the up- and down-keys on the remote.

If you have questions, just let me know.

Philipp

edit: removed patch as new one is available

hondansx

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for it, i will give it a try.

BR
Walter
GA-EP43 | headless | 1xCineS2 Dual | 1xSkystar 2.6D | VDR 1.7.37 
Frontend: 1xRasperry | 1xION3

hondansx

Hi Phillip,

it would be nice to see it on livetv (green button) and liverecording (red button) too?  ::)
Is it possiblle to display an smaller scrollbar? Would look smarter  ;)

Thanks
Walter

muellerph

>it would be nice to see it on livetv (green button) and liverecording (red button) too?
I will see what I can do. With liverecording you mean the EPG or what do you mean?

>Is it possiblle to display an smaller scrollbar? Would look smarter
I think it is not the size, but rather the color. Yellow is burning also into my retina ;D.
As I said, "rudimentary" at the moment (and codewise ugly).

Anyway:
Next steps are:
- Generating a wscrollbar by refactoring vrecmove
- Using it in the wtextbox and vrecmove
- Adjusting vinfo to use wtextbox

So it is consistent and is less ugly than currently implemented.

Thx for the comments.

hondansx

QuoteI will see what I can do. With liverecording you mean the EPG or what do you mean?
If I start an recording, the RED Button can show EPG.

Walter

Chris

Quote from: muellerph on November 16, 2007, 08:03:54
Next steps are:
- Generating a wscrollbar by refactoring vrecmove
- Using it in the wtextbox and vrecmove
- Adjusting vinfo to use wtextbox

Sounds like a good plan. I read your patch and that's sort of what I thought.

After the recent GUI code changes it seems more logical now to be using WTextbox for any text displayed, it's just that most of the program hasn't been converted yet. Maybe one day all the text functions will move from Boxx to WTextbox.

muellerph

Hello Chris,

> - Generating a wscrollbar by refactoring vrecmove
> - Using it in the wtextbox and vrecmove

These I have done now, but I'm at the moment stuck with one decision:

Rethinking how it should look like correctly would be that I implement a scrollableBoxx inherited from boxx with the scrollbar code.
Then the widgets (wtextbox, wselectlist) inherits from this class instead of boxx as only these need atm scrollbarsupport.

But this would be a bigger change and I'm rather for incremental changes than all at once. Especially with these basic classes.

On top comes for me that the extraction of the textcode from boxx into another class should be done first. So boxx is then already very generic before we generate the inherited class scrollableBoxx.

So I would prefer now to have it a bit unfinished from the structure and fix the remaining issues later.

So the steps would be:
1. This patch will be scrollbarsupport within the vClasses (not even the widgets, as the widget classes will have no basic scrollbarcode at the end anyway)
2. Next patch extraction of text functionality from boxx (bigger task for sure)
3. Last patch: Generating the scrollableboxx class and moving the code from the vClasses to this class

What do you think?

Chris

Hi, incremental changes is a good plan, yes. I'm a bit lost as to where the code that actually draws a scroll bar ends up (in the final design). I like the idea of it being a separate widget. Especially since I don't think wselectlist can work in the same way as a scrollable text box, for instance.

muellerph

So it took a bit longer than expected first (family and work and the extended intention).

But here it is.
Changes:
- Scrollbar with new widget wscrollbar
- Use the scrollbar in VInfo and VRecmove
- Using the scrollable EPG in livetv and recordings as well
- Not smaller, rather bigger. But this is now because I use the width of the icons.
- The 2 files are in the tar archive. I have no clue how to do a patch including the files but I'm sure you know how to move them into the client directory ;)

Comment:
The patch is against 0.2.7

It can be applied against CVS but will give one merge error in objects.mk. It's just that the wscrollbar.o is clashing with other new objects in CVS. So should work with minor correction, so I'm not giving another patch. If needed for sure I will give this one too.

Against CVS it compiles and runs, but for sure no VInfo is displayed in livetv (Chris said it already that it doesn't work in CVS atm). So I couldn't test it with current CVS.

Any comments, critics, questions are for sure welcome.

svalavuo

Is there somewhere modified dongle.bin to download?

I don't have source for dongle so I can't do one.
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

hondansx

hondansx

Somebody who want to test it, here is one. see above

muellerph

Update to the current status.

This patch is not included in 0.3.0 and I currently don't have an updated patch.
This is not because of the normal time constrains or technical reasons, it is just that I'm unsure how we should do scrolling in the 0.3.0, i.e. when using the old remote in Live-TV mode.

We do have following situations in 0.3.0 (all the old remote) for showing the programme summary:
Play Recording:
    - "red" shows the static programme summary
    - "up" and "down" could still be used for scrolling in programme summary
Recordings list:
    - Menu entry "Summary" shows static programme summary
    - "up" and "down" could still be used for scrolling in programme summary
Live-TV:
    - "up" and "down" switches the channel up and down
    - "red" shows the static programme summary
    - when pressing "ok", "up" and "down" let's you scroll through the EPG entries

As you can see, Live-TV is my issue, as there is for me no way to scroll up and down usability vise in a clear way and consistent with the other 2 options.

If you have any clue what we may do, please let me know.
Suggestions and proposals are very much welcome.

papablues

From top of my head ( not in front of a tv right now ) i'd suggest that up down do the scrolling even in live TV if you reach the upper or lower end of the scroll text the "regular" up / down behaviour should take place.

Thats how i usually do stuff like that ( on even smaller screens - mobiles )

br

Fab

[edit]
I figured last night, that the epg text in LiveTV uses lets say 25% of the screen max.
IMHO it should use more if i want to see the movie i will hide the EPG info.
If that is still not enough i suggest to use the sollution i tried to line out above.
[/edit]