MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Wishlist

Started by rdoac, November 10, 2007, 16:32:39

Previous topic - Next topic

rdoac

I was sitting in the kitchen thinking through a few things that would make life slightly easier on my vomp thingy.  I don't know how realistic these could be, but I wondered if they could be considered and I thought someone might also agree.  Firstly though..  Thank you, thank you, thank you for audio support.  It has made my life so much better as I can leave VDR to auto update.

1. To have bouquets. 

I have things like:

:->sky ita - general
:->uk tv

Scattered throughout my channels.conf which I can skip to using a right arrow in VDR itself.

I use skip fwd and skip bkwd to go up and down a page already, but another couple of keys to skip to the next marker (which could be visable in the channel list) would be really cool. Also would be good in the epg page.

Maybe even:

1. Watch TV.
    Second option (List of Bouquets):
      1. sky ita
      2. uk tv
      3. etc
             Third Option
                    1 Rai 1
                    2 Rai 2
                    3 etc
             or
                    1 BBC 1
                    2 BBC 2
                    3 ITV

or even
                     123 BBC 1
                     124 BBC 2

If we can't reorder channel numbers.

I think this will really help when we have 1000's of channels.

2. To be able to scroll epg description if it's too big for the box.  (I use the Radio Times listings, and they can go on a bit.)

3. Quick screen resolution change.  (for changing between widescreen and not)
     There are three issues with a widescreen TV.
     1. 4:3 looks stretched.. An option for side black borders could be nice.
     2. widescreen broadcast by braindead European operators like Sky who put a black border top and bottom.  (A way to display full width but chop top and bottom)
     3. 16:9 looks good on 16:9 settings.
    (On a 4:3 tv the normal options are ok)
     4. Having an icon on the programme banner at the bottom saying the original source would be nice.  (ie, 16:9 or 4:3) - maybe a way to know which DVB card you're watching too, as the signal is better on one than the other on a couple of channels, but I never know which I am on.

4. Weather forcast?
    (Yeh I know it's fluff, but we used it a lot on the dreambox).

5. A way of editing the channels.conf file?

(I guess this would be a major project, but if we could have a fairly quick and easy Move, delete it would be good).

6. Childprotection Pin.  (To lock off all those channels you don't want your 10 year old finding, instead of hiding them up around channel 7000 and hoping they don't notice)  (Deleting them is not an option as VDR just adds them again and if they go up instead of down they get to the other end of the channel list). This could be found in a quick lookup file.  A way to add a channel to this list would be good too.

7. A way to execute commands on the server..
   (ie, just display and execute whatever is in commands.conf)

8. Button change for the audio language change.
   We're using green for both epg info (if we click ok first) and audio.  Why not have green for calling up epg info regardless of whether OK is pushed and yellow for audio change?

As always, thanks guys, this is really good and usable.  We're watching it in three rooms constantly.

svalavuo

I guess there's as many wishlists as there is users :)

For me no 1 wish is subtitles (DVB & teletext)
Other wishes in previous posting are good too, but subtitles is defenately #1.
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

Schnurps

Here are my (old) thoughts on new features/wishlist:

http://www.loggytronic.com/forum/index.php?topic=49.0
http://www.loggytronic.com/forum/index.php?topic=126.0

Today my wishlist-priorities would be:

1. Teletext/Videotext
2. Timeshifting/Pausing/Resuming in LiveTV
3. Advanced Set/Edit Timers (we would need a typing-function for making new folders etc.)
4. Renaming Recordings (also needs that input-typing-function from No. 3)
5. Scrolling long epg-descriptions
6. Advanced Mediaplayer (esp. Video-Transcoding)
7. Direct Channel-selection while onscreen-display is shown (#keys while now/next-box is shown)
8. Skin-Engine for advanced/alternate screen-surfaces
9. Prettier Channel-Selection (e.g. with channel-icons?)
10. Channel-Bouquets/Tabs ( i habe in mind categories like public channels, private channels, news, sport etc., selectable viiews in tabs/registers)
11. editing channels.conf

When reading my old lists, i just realized what fantastic progresses VOMP has made during the last two years. A very loud THANK YOU to Chris and all other contributing developers!

Yours
Schnurps

muellerph

Quote from: rdoac on November 10, 2007, 16:32:39
2. To be able to scroll epg description if it's too big for the box.  (I use the Radio Times listings, and they can go on a bit.)

Quote from: Schnurps on November 11, 2007, 13:19:57
5. Scrolling long epg-descriptions

Before doing double work, I would like to tell that I have a nearly finished implementation done yesterday. Cleanup and polishing still open.
Please expect this or latest next week the patch for review.

Philipp

svalavuo

Does anyone know if subtitles support is huge or gigantic work? :)

I tried to read dongle code, but didn't understand a bit. I do programming with other languages.
Scrolling long EPG data is great too.

Great job everyone contributing efforts for vomp (server & dongle)!
Samuli

Lutz

I'd really appreciate to have full cutting marks support...
Lutz

svalavuo

Quote from: Lutz on November 13, 2007, 12:09:52
I'd really appreciate to have full cutting marks support...
Lutz
This would be great too.
Wonder if this is possible though.
If SVDRP is used, it is not. http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Svdrp
Samuli

davep

Quote from: svalavuo on November 13, 2007, 09:45:22
Does anyone know if subtitles support is huge or gigantic work? :)

I'm not sure that subtitling is working correctly in VDR yet. There are discussions on the VDR mailing list about problems with the new subtitle code.

I can use VOMP with VDR 1.5.11 to view live TV or watch existing recordings, but if I make a new recording using 1.5.11 of a programme which has subtitles, playback freezes after a few seconds. VOMP hasn't crashed; the remote control still works, and I can view the recording on the server using mplayer. Hopefully thisis a VDR issue.

Once VDR is stable it presumably wouldn't be too difficult to use similar code in VOMP to extract the text. I don't know what would be involved in displaying text on-screen.

muellerph

Quote from: svalavuo on November 13, 2007, 12:39:43
If SVDRP is used, it is not. http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Svdrp
AFAIK: Vomp doesn't use SVDRP at all. It's directly linked to the vdr-libs as a plugin.

svalavuo

Quote from: davep on November 13, 2007, 17:02:53
I'm not sure that subtitling is working correctly in VDR yet. There are discussions on the VDR mailing list about problems with the new subtitle code.

I can use VOMP with VDR 1.5.11 to view live TV or watch existing recordings, but if I make a new recording using 1.5.11 of a programme which has subtitles, playback freezes after a few seconds. VOMP hasn't crashed; the remote control still works, and I can view the recording on the server using mplayer. Hopefully thisis a VDR issue.

Once VDR is stable it presumably wouldn't be too difficult to use similar code in VOMP to extract the text. I don't know what would be involved in displaying text on-screen.

Yes, I forgot that they "broke" subtitles in 1.5.10 -> :P
Subtitles worked fine in previous versions using plugin, but new subtitles -system isn't the same code because if you record show with subtitles using 1.5.(10/11) and try to watch it with previous versions, subtitles doesn't work. Other way it works.

Keeping that in mind, it would be better to implement subtitles in vomp dongle (and vomp server?) when they work in 1.5.x.
Does vompserver forward all data from stream to dongle (including teletext and subtitles and...) or does is strip data?
Samuli

svalavuo

Quote from: muellerph on November 13, 2007, 17:06:52
AFAIK: Vomp doesn't use SVDRP at all. It's directly linked to the vdr-libs as a plugin.
OK. I didn't know this. Some plugins are using SVDRP though.
Samuli

MartenR

Does vompserver forward all data from stream to dongle (including teletext and subtitles and...) or does is strip data?
All data is forwarded. Be careful subtiles is a tough task, because you have to the synchronisation with audio video...

svalavuo

Quote from: MartenR on November 14, 2007, 07:32:15
Be careful subtiles is a tough task, because you have to the synchronisation with audio video...

As I mentioned previously, I can't code anything with c :)
I wish someone can though.
Samuli

hondansx

We will see what Santa Claus is bringing.  ;)

Walter
GA-EP43 | headless | 1xCineS2 Dual | 1xSkystar 2.6D | VDR 1.7.37 
Frontend: 1xRasperry | 1xION3

Chris

Firstly I will say that subtitles is on my wishlist too, though it does look like a chunk of work, though I haven't fully investigated yet.

"Santa Claus" is bringing something (check CVS for how broken it is atm!) but it won't be subtitles. Well, not from me anyway.