MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Default action for recording menu - request discussion

Started by riban, September 04, 2005, 09:34:42

Previous topic - Next topic

riban

On selecting a recording, a menu offers these options; Play, Resume, Summary and Delete with Play being the default option. I find that I mostly want to resume replay. I would like members to discuss what they feel should be the default action here and if a consensus for change is reached, request Chris consider making this change.

I have made the very simple change to vrecordingmenu.cc to make resume the default action on my installation which has made my device work as I prefer.

I know this is trivial but suggest such things can be discussed and sorted quickly and it is best to establish a preferred operation early in development rather than change it later when a large user base has been established (This excellent work deserves a huge user base!)

Walt

davep

Make "Resume" the default if there is a resume point set for the recording, otherwise "Play"?

Dave

Hoochster

Either that, or make it a configuration option in the Configure section. 

Recording Playback Default:   Play/Resume

Schnurps

Are the resume-points saved locally at the media-mvp? Or at the vdr?
Usually I don't want to resume teh recording of another user...

Otherwise I support Dave's suggestion.  :)

Schnurps

Chris

Nothing can be saved at the MVP, there is no storage. But, the vompserver does keep a seperate configuration file for each MVP (by IP address) so resume points will be different for each client MVP.

I think Dave's suggestion is good too. The client could get the resume point data when you press ok on a recording - just before the recording menu appears. If there is a resume point it could pre-select the resume option. Thoughts?

riban

Given that selecting Resume on a recording with no resume point appears to have identical effect as selecting Play, why bother with all the extra coding in looking for resume points?

I reckon we should avoid too many user options. You can end up with a thousand things that can be set that if the configuration gets corrupt, gives the users hours of fun reconfiguring. As a programmer, I always want complete control to tweak my devices slightest nuances but that is not actually good design for end users.

davep

Quote from: riban on September 05, 2005, 22:03:21
Given that selecting Resume on a recording with no resume point appears to have identical effect as selecting Play, why bother with all the extra coding in looking for resume points?

It provides feedback to the user that there *is* a resume point set for the recording, so maybe they've watched part of this before. No big deal though.

Dave