Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

parental lock support for vompserver

Started by dingo35, March 16, 2007, 08:48:50

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo35

Hi all,

Thanks first of all for this great 0.2.6 update of vompserver. I also like all the initiatives to start developing mp3 and/or avi/mpg support.

I decided I am now for so long a "happy user", I should try to contribute something myself. I decided to focus on the long-wished, never realised (AFAIK) parental lock support (or better, child lock support; the parent isn't locked out of anything).

My first action was to install the pin-0.1.7 plugin of VDR, which seems to be an excellent basis to start from.

I am planning a step-by-step approach, each step adding new child lock functionality:
1) First step would be to add a parameter to the vomp-MAC-address.conf file, Childlock = On or Off. When On, the vomp-server plugin:
-checks for the existence of the protection.fsk file (put there by pin-plugin) when browsing through directories or trying to open recordings, and prohibits operation when file is present
-when jumping to a channel (live tv), check whether this channel is blocked by pin-plugin, and act accordingly.
-prohibit to start a timer from a blocked channel (actually, this seems to be a security leak in the pin-plugin version 0.1.7; autoprot functionality does not work for me!), or if it can be started, it generates a blocked recording.

Note that in step one you childlock a media-mvp box or not, and the decision is made at operating system level.

2) Second step would be, instead of blocking the above, asking for the pin-number configured in pin-plugin. Also the auto-timeout to childlock after x minutes of pin-plugin should be active on vompserver-plugin, and the "activate childlock now" functionality.

3) Third step could be, to add extended blocking support as supported by pin-plugin, like blocking broadcast and extended search patterns in blocking.

4) Fourth step could be, to enable adding file locks and/or channel locks and other pin-configuring stuff from the vomp-server plugin.
This way also users without OSD access to vdr-server could use functionality also. This pin-configuring stuff would also have to be protected by same pin-code, of course.

Also, all changes should have no effect to those not having a Childlock entry in their vomp-MAC.conf file or not using pin-plugin at all.

My questions to you:
1) Is pin-0.1.7 plugin actually the best basis to start from, or are there even better alternatives?
2) Can anyone hint me on which steps should be best done in client part, and which in server part?
3) I have some experience developing vdr-related software, but I have no setup on which I can cross-compile the client (dongle) software. Anyone with those capabilities like to join?
4) Other hints, tips, ...

Happy to hear from you!

papablues

Hi,

Any progress there yet ? this is the feature that i need for the MVP ;-) ( the only one missing )
I don`t have too much sparetime left currently, but i'd be willing to assist as much as i can  ( no clue about vdr or vomp programming , but a couple of years in embedded device development  )

br

Fabian

papablues

As there was no reply and it was requested in the VDR forum, i added a very simple ( but effective ) lock.

Just add a new config to the MVP configs "General" section: LockDir
This is getting evaluated. If not null the Channel group with that name is the only one that gets visible on the client. Add a line like ":Locked" to the channels.conf before the first allowed channel and a ":Unlocked" after the last allowed channel. The LockDir should be set to "Locked" then to enable the feature.
Of course "Locked" is just a sample could be named "ViolenceAndPronFreeSectionsOfTheVDRfortheKids" as well.

In addition for records to be displayed, then must reside in a folder named "Locked" or whatever you chose.

Maybe it is usefull for others as well......

rdoac

what is this patch against?  The current cvs or the current release?

papablues

current release, but cvs should work as well.

Updated version for the 0.3.0 release.
Maybe it has a chance to be added to the "official" release ....
If not, why ?

Harry

*bump*

sadly, this patch didn't make it into git :(
judging from the number of downloads, it's not that popular.

any chance papablues' patch can make it into vompserver v0.4.0 ?

Chris

Nothing more can go in 0.4.0, but I'll look at it for the next release. Which won't be as long in coming as this one.