MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Sources of kernel modules taken from dongle

Started by petric, November 23, 2006, 00:43:12

Previous topic - Next topic

petric

A kernel > 2.4.17 can not be used because the source for the following kernel modules is not available (correct ?):

• av_core
  • gfx
  • ircombo
  • os_core
  • osdfb
  • xrmod

However i found a forum article which has an attached file which seem to contain the missing sources (except of xrmod):

http://www.sat-industry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26894

Maybe that helps.

sirwio

Hi,

If you read the all post in the thread "Patches to make an H3 boot" you will find an excellent post by Forty2 describing howto grab the kernel modules from later hauppauge dongles with squashfs and 2.4.31 kernels. I have personally followed his guide and successfully extracted the kernel modules! Note that the simplest way is to retreive the modules from the mvpmc git repository...

What we must ask ourselves is if there really is any advantage of switching kernel to 2.4.31? During my initial attempts to get my H3 to run vompclient I misstakenly assumed that I had to use the 2.4.31 kernel and squashfs as filesystem. What I noticed is that I couldn't really see any performance differencies between running a 2.4.17 kernel and a 2.4.31 kernel with squashfs. (Perhaps one should try it once more and apply the smc91111.patch to see if its still true but since I don't really have any performance problems this is not higly prioritized by me)

If features keep beeing added to vomp and one run scarse on memory there might be reasons to switch to 2.4.31 and squashfs. For now I would really just appriciate if the buildsystem would apply the hcwmp_header.patch so that Hx users would have an easy way to get a booting dongle without having to patch the kernel themselves.

- Magnus

Chris

Well, just to have this noted down somewhere...

I seem to remember that the patch for 2.4.17 to run on a H3 made it not work on a D3, which would have meant two different systems for the two boxes. But the real killer was that the only way to make the mtd information available on a H3 was to use kernel 2.4.31.

I still don't use squashfs, and even if I did I don't think it will make the sort of space available that we really need. But it's ok for now.