Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Feature Suggestion: Support to Skip Ads by skipping

Started by carsten, February 15, 2007, 21:16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

carsten

Hi,

I would like to suggest that VOMP support skipping ads by at least offering a 5 minutes skip. I noticed
that hash and start are skipping 10 seconds, as yellow and blue do. So either pair could be used to
have an alternative.

Ads seem to get longer and longer. I notice that in German TV they tend to be 7 minutes now. I have
heart some months ago about an implementation, where the buttons work like this (don't remember
exactly): press skip forward will jump 5 minutes, antoher press, another 5 minutes. When then pressing
skip backwards, it will jump back half of the time it jumped forward in the last step. Next forward would
jump half of the time forward as the last backward step. The guy who told me was absolutely happy with
that. I guess that this implementation is a bit more tricky, as one would have to set back the skipping
period to 5 minutes after a) a different key press than skip forward/backward or b) after a certain ammount
of time. Nevertheless, I think this is a nifty idea.

I am not sure to have enough knowledge or time to try it out. But you'll never know...  ;)

Best Regards,
Carsten.

AronSira

Hi,

.. if you think about 32x feed then this are just 13,125 seconds - better use the cutting marks batch (using noad) - don't you think so ?

kr,
Robert

carsten

Honestly, no.

I played arround with noad, but it doesn't really work on my streams. Also, accelerating up to 32x is some key presses
and stopping there is to switch to a different button, which is not ergonomically located. For me I have now compiled
5 minutes buttons on #* into my own dongle.

And after all, 13,125 seconds is quite a long time, compared to use +5 minutes, +1, +1 and then the 10 seconds button.

BR,
Carsten.

AronSira

If you exactly know the length of the ad (and you are able to press 3 different buttons on the hauppauge remote within 13 seonds..) , yes ..
For me 1..9 to jump and up to 32x search speed is nearly perfect.

kr,
Robert

ravageng

Hello Carsten,

I've already posted a patch here in the forum.
Also I just posted a new (enhanced) version:
http://www.loggytronic.com/forum/index.php?topic=235.0

Greetings