MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Feature Request: Sleeptimer

Started by TheGuv, October 01, 2006, 18:43:16

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGuv

(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1547495&group_id=139484&atid=743658)

The only thing keeping me from using my H3 in the bedroom is lack of a sleeptimer, like my current VDR diskless client has.

I can do a bit of straight 'C' coding amongst other languages, but I know zero about C++. As I don't really expect anybody to jump in to code my every whim for me, I thought I'd have a go myself - at least that should give everyone a good laugh. To get me started in the right direction, could anybody point me in a vague direction to explore  ;)

-Guv

Chris

It's a tricky one, since to do it properly would need a fair bit of GUI work to set the timer or whatever.

How do you want it to actually operate? (And then I will think about how to do it)

Do you need a sleep timer because you have a TV that has none but will turn itself off after a while of no-signal? Or are you just wanting the MVP to turn off? Because if it's the second - bear in mind there is really no point, the MVP takes the same amount of power whatever state it's in.

pompase

I am a currently working on this. The first step will be the option to determin whether vomp sends a signal to vdr to shutdown too, as this is a feature I want to have. As long as vdr has nothing else to do (say another vomp is connected or a recording is currently working) a message pops up a vdr, similar to a normal vdr shutdown, that enables someone that is watching tv at the vdr site to cancel shutdown process. The method of selecting the timeout for the sleeptimer in my optinion should be the way most tvs work. You have a bunch of predefined timeouts that can be selected lets say 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes. So there is no need to input a special time. This would keep the gui stuff pretty low.
This feature works in conjunction with my active patch, that enables vomp-plugin on vdr to block the shutdown process as long as a vomp client is connected.

@Chris: Do you see any problem with this approach?

TheGuv

Quote from: Chris on October 02, 2006, 01:57:13
It's a tricky one, since to do it properly would need a fair bit of GUI work to set the timer or whatever.

Well, I never thought it was going to be easy  ;) As is usual with work suddenly things get hectic and then I don't get to play...

How do you want it to actually operate?

Well, the VDR sleeptimer plugin allows you to either set a time (which defaults to now) to turn off, or a settable number of minutes from now. So I guess something similar would be ideal, though maybe just a choice of a few options would be fine too.

Do you need a sleep timer because you have a TV that has none but will turn itself off after a while of no-signal?

I realise the MVPs don't actually 'poweroff' but yes, my (LCD) TV doesn't have a timer but will poweroff after a few seconds of no signal. I'm quite fond of listening to the radio and usually have the sleeptimer set to 15 mins or so,

AronSira

@pompase

I like the work you are doing, for me it's just the way I wanted to go to contribute, but I don't know how to find the time for this (albeit the question I would be able to do the same as you as I'm not a C or C++ programmer).
I'd appreciate this too as I'm using VOMP for remote clients (as for my bedroom  - I fall asleep best when TV is on) and normally I'm just able to set the sleep timer of my TV - but the mvp I'm using there just stays on ..

Btw. are there already patches from your side for WOL and the active-theme for version 0.2.6 ?

Thx,
Robert

pompase

hello,
i am currently working on patches on the 0.26 release. As the develpment environment was released just recently I am going to start doing it this weekend. I hope not too much has changed, so that it will not be a to big mess.
You can find the current patches at my homepage http://www.pompase.net at the download section.

AronSira