MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Sync on green problem

Started by stu-e, December 14, 2006, 13:40:01

Previous topic - Next topic

stu-e

I have just bought a new tv and now have the dreaded sync on green problem.

For those uninitiated, the MediaMVP combines the sync signal with the green signal. This causes a problem with some tv sets. If the tv set does not like it the picture in RGB mode has a strong green cast to it.

The only way I can get round it is by reverting to composite video by disconnecting the RGB select/fast blanking pin of the scart connector. I cannot use s-video because the scart inputs on my tv don't support it.

Is there the slimmest chance the sync on green can be disabled in the mvp dongle?

This has been requested on the Hauppauge mvp forum over a year ago but was never done so I'm not confident it ever will.

Chris

I havn't seen anything that might lead to disabling sync on green. I would also have no way of investigating it - a TV like yours would be required.. Even if the chips will allow changing this setting, if Hauppauge don't do it in their software then there is little to no way for anyone else to learn how to do it.

stu-e

I have modified my rev D3A MediaMVP adding a sync stripping circuit to the Scart green output. It was really very fiddly using very small components. Together with the mod/bodge for correcting the dark RGB output level I am now (at last) enjoying a good quality scart RGB picture.

If anyone is interested in more detail of the mod then post a reply here.

I would not recommend the mod to everyone except those experienced with soldering extremely small components.

stu-e

Anyone feeling brave enough to carry out the sync-on-green mod I did, I have posted the details on the Hauppauge MediaMVP forum:
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=76