Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

PAL or NTSC on Hx mediamvp's

Started by sirwio, January 02, 2007, 23:12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

sirwio

Hi,

I just tried the lastest development script and it now produces a bootable dongle for H3 mediamvp's. The only problem now is figuring out wether PAL or NTSC should be used.

Unforrunatelly as the code in main.cc is written the vompclient exits if it fails to open the /dev/mtd1 device. If I'm not totally misstaken there are no mtd devices on Hx hardware?

Its really easy to patch the source oneself and skip the opening of the /dev/mtd1 device and default to PAL (or NTSC). But it would be much nicer to have a generic solution.

So what would be the best way to solve this problem. Perhaps not bailing out if there is a prblem opening/reading the /dev/mtd1 device and then default to read the value from the conf file and if the value does not exist defauilt to a either PAL or NTSC.

Suggestions welcome

- Magnus

MartenR

Look into libs/libav/mtd.c of mvpmc . They iterate through /proc/mtd to find the name of the device, maybe this helps.

Marten

Chris

Yes, I have seen this too, it is the next thing on my list to get working. From what I have seen though, it will not be possible to determine PAL/NTSC on a H3 in a development environment. If it is a dongle it should be ok. I don't see this as a major problem since anyone using a development environment would be more than capable of getting it working / or perhaps I can add a run time switch. With the current design of the program it won't be possible to determine PAL/NTSC by contacting VDR because all the graphics need to be up and running before VDR is contacted. Catch 22.

sirwio

Well this is fishy...

Tonight I tried the suggestion mentioned previosly in this thread but only gets so far as to open the /proc/mtd and read the header wich was what I suspected since this is the only one get running a 'cat /proc/mtd' on the mediamvp!

# cat mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name

However - the same comand booting with the latest mvpmc dongle (0.3.2) gives

# cat mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 002c0000 00010000 "HCW MediaMVP KERN"
mtd1: 00100000 00010000 "HCW MediaMVP DATA"
mtd2: 00010000 00010000 "HCW MediaMVP VPD"
mtd3: 00010000 00010000 "HCW MediaMVP LOGO"
mtd4: 00020000 00010000 "HCW MediaMVP BOOT"
mtd5: 00200000 00001000 "HCW MediaMVP ROOT"
mtd6: 000ff000 00001000 "HCW MediaMVP OSD"

So there is clearly something missing in the kernel configuration for vomp. I will investigate this further but as always suggestions are welcome...

- Magnus

Chris

Weird, I tried that on a dongle I made and I got the correct results. You're definitely not using a NFS root kernel there?

sirwio

No I'm using a ordianry kernel downloaded from the tftp.
I did a test with the mvpmc 0.3.1 dongle which is a 2.4.17 kernel and it doesn't list any mtd devices either. I'm pretty sure that its the redwood.c patch applied to the 2.4.31 kernel used by mvpmc 0.3.2 that fixes this.

What hardware did you test on where you had success? Mine is a H3 PAL unit.

- Magnus

sirwio

Hi,

I have done a quick test and if I replace the redwood.c file with the one that the mvpmc project patch their 2.4.31 kernel it works. It seems as if the redwood.c file is backportable to the 2.4.17 kernel...

E.g. replace ./kernel/dongle/mvpdist/kernel/drivers/mtd/maps/redwood.c
with ./dongle/kernel/linux-2.4.31/patches/redwood.c
from the mvpmc git repository

- Magnus