MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Great Server, couple questions.

Started by Hoochster, August 15, 2005, 19:57:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoochster

Just wanted to start by saying out of the 3 I have played with so far, MVPServer, VDR-MediaMVP and Vomp, this is by far the better looking and seems to be more stable application.  Thanks for the time and effort into the project. 

My questions are, that I haven't found out yet, is do you plan on implementing MPlayer support like the other Plugins/Servers have so that we can play back AVI's etc though the plugin by chance, even incorporate with the MP3/MPlayer plugin or whatever.  I am no programmer so I don't know how involved it would be.  And lastly, where does the plugin pull its channels.conf list from?  I see channels, but they aren't all there.  Was just curious to know where it gets the information from. 

Also I am like the others, that my VDR Recordings are blotchy every few seconds.  If you need any information on debugging that let me know.

Thanks again for your great product.

Hoochster
http://www.hoochvdr.info

davep

The channel list comes from VDR's channels.conf.

Which version of VDR are you using? Version 1.3.x actively maintains the channel list (by default), so Vomp only displays those channels which actually have data (ie where VDR has set a non-zero vpid and apid in channels.conf). With VDR version 1.2.x the channels.conf is static.

Dave

Hoochster

Running VDR-1.3.29.  I will check into the VPID's to see why it isn't picking up the rest of the channels.  It is possible a patch I run for AC3 might be changing it so that it isn't picking them up.  Not sure.

Thanks.

Hoochster!

Chris

Hoochster, thanks for the comments, it's nice to hear. Unfortunately I'm going to have to disappoint on the general media player for the time being. My focus for this project is a clean set top box style thing, being able to play general video files from network servers is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the bottom of the list. (Though I am more interested in playing DVDs through VOMP, so one day!) Anything other than MPEG1/2 content is a big problem for the MVP anyway because it only has a hardware MPEG1/2 decoder and not enough processing power to decode anything else.

There is a fix in the pipeline for the corrupted video problem, though I am delaying making another dongle at the moment because the fix caused some other problems. The demuxer developer is working on the problem :)

Hoochster

Thanks for your reply.  Isn't playing regular video files what the MVP was for?  I again note I am no programmer, so I haven't a clue what all is involved.  I just know the default server it comes with etc plays them, just didn't know if you had planned on implementing them.  Thanks for the insight.  Glad to hear on the recordings, hoping to see it progress.  Still have issues with my channels.conf still trying to hash that out.  Reversed the AC3 patch I use for the current Firmware for the Nexus card in VDR.  But no avail on more channels, so it is more involved with probably the channels I have compared to what you use in your part of the country.  I will keep working on it. 

Again I note yours by far has the nicest look to it compared to all the others, I am very pleased, looking forward to possible guide sharing etc, looks like you plan on implementing it being as you do have some OSD in the channels. 

Thanks again.

davep

The code for VDR 1.3.x says that if vpid !=0 and apid !=0 then it's a valid TV channel, if vpid=0 and apid !=0 then it's a radio channel. Are your missing entries lurking in the radio list?

Post your channels.conf if you can't work it out. The 1.3.x code has AFAIK only been tested with DVB-T in the UK; other countries and other systems such as DVB-S may have quirks which haven't been taken into account.

Dave

Hoochster

Removed since all is fixed now.

davep

Your non-working channel has a non-zero value in the "Conditional Access" field - that's the '1810,1801,1800' value. Vomp with vdr 1.3.x currently ignores any non-Free-To-Air channels which is why you don't see it in the list.

There are two possibilities: either this is a valid channel which you are able to view with some kind of CA card, in which case a rethink is needed (a user-set option?) or the channels.conf is corrupt. I've never seen vdr used with encrypted channels so I'm not sure which is correct.

To see the documentation for channels.conf enter "man 5 vdr".

Dave

Hoochster

That is correct.  I use my VDR for my subbed receiver due to its pvr capabilities.  I was just hoping to be able to use the MVP as a secondary device.  The other servers function with it, they just aren't as nice looking in GUI as VOMP and also for their streaming technique you have to back out of your streamed channel and choose another as where VOMP you can just punch the Channel # in or channel up or down.  It acts more like a true Streamdev Client.  I assumed VOMP could do this.  Since nobody else is using it as such it might not be the case.  I appreciate the hash out on trying to figure it out.  Maybe there will be more interest in VOMP for others that use VDR as their main receivers and we can figure out a way to accomplish this.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Chris

Hi, I have changed the plugin to send CA channels to the MVP. I don't really know if this works as I don't have any CA channels or VDR 1.3... If this works I'll code a user option client side to specify whether to show CA channels or not, if necessary. Personally I just deleted them all out of my channels.conf when I made it. The change will be available when SourceForge CVS updates.

Hoochster

I truly appreciate the efforts in trying to solve my issue.  If I am the only one with the issue then by all means don't go to lots of trouble, I just figured surely more people use it as such but I guess not.  Being as both the MVPServer and the MediaMVP plugin both work with it I can just use them, I just preferred yours.  So thank you kindly for the efforts.  I just updated, and now when I click Live TV it just goes to a black screen.  I will clear my previous plugin and reget all together, all I saw it update was the mvpclient.c  So maybe there is more.  Thanks again for all the effort.

Chris

Hi, I assume since you have CA ability that you have a fully featured card in that it does video out as well as signal in. Could you try setting this main card to a channel and then trying to play live tv with vomp on the same channel or a channel from the same mux. Let me know what happens. If that does not work then I'm at a loss... :)

Hoochster

Would love to try, but not sure how to go about it.  How can I force VOMP to go to a specific channel if I can't get a channel list from it?  Now I can't even get that.  I used to get the list of channels available just none of my CA channels.  Is there a way I can try forcing it to a certain channel?  Before your fixes I got the list and tried manually tuning VOMP to a channel but no luck.  Since latest changes I get just a black screen when I do Live TV instead of the channel list.  Thanks again for your efforts. 

Chris

No channels at all, hmmmmmmm.... Right, I will fix this later today.

Hoochster

Just wanted to itterate again, how much I appreciate the efforts for just 1 person having this issue!  That is awesome support!  Will keep my eyes open for the next CVS and let you know!