Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

some small 0.2.5 issues

Started by dingo35, December 11, 2006, 08:28:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo35

Hi all,

New version 0.2.5 is major step, lots of bugs seem to be solved, so thanks to all developers!

I have some small issues:

1) translation of Dutch texts: one Dutch and one French text have to be swapped, and I have made some small improvements in the Dutch translations (mostly texts not fitting in screen positions). I will mail them in the translation thread. There is one issue which raises a question, and that is that the "Move" option and the entire submenu are not in language-data.h . Can I just add these translations to language-data.h, or should there be a software modification also? Which numbers should I use (e.g. "Delete" has nr. 21 tagged to it)?

2) new audio language submenu: when showing on tv-set 4:3 with option "chop sides off", this menu is chopped off also. Could this be moved a little bit to the right?

3) new audio language: is it possible to apply the preffered language settings, stored in the VDR?

4) Can't wait to have the new audio language also implemented in real time tv!

5) Other new functionality that would bring vompserver-0.2.5 more in line with VDR itself: when trying to remove a recording that is still recording, one gets some "prohibited" message. Would it be possible to have the VDR options here, so first ask: "Are you sure to delete y/n" (as currently implemented), then if YES,  "Timer is running, are you sure?", and if yes, to remove both recording and timer?

Thanks!

dingo35

Can anyone answer at least the first question? I hesitate to post a new language-data file which might have problems in it....

Thanks! Dingo35.

davep

Quote from: dingo35 on December 15, 2006, 12:27:29
Can anyone answer at least the first question? I hesitate to post a new language-data file which might have problems in it....

OK, the way it's supposed to work:

1. Decide which text you want to change. Remember where in the menu structure the text appears.

2. Go to Options -> General and change the Language setting to "Test" (the last choice).

3. Back out of the options menu. Now instead of text you will see code numbers.

4. Go back to the place in the structure where your text used to appear and see which code number is now there.

5. Go back to Options -> General and reset the language. You did remember how to get there?

6. Now open language-data.h, and find the entry which has the code number corresponding to the text which needs changing. Make the change and send the file to Chris.

Unfortunately there is an error in the existing file which prevents this working for the items you are interested in (the entries have seven languages instead of eight). I've attached a replacement which you can use as a starting point.

Dave

dingo35

Thanks Davep, I integrated your language-data.h with mine and am ready for upload.  :)
I am now only missing:
-one window description called "Move recording",
-there seems to be an error message which is "Failed to move recording".

If you could add these, post it, then I can send a complete update to Chris and all other translators will not have these problems...

Thanks in advance!

davep

Quote from: dingo35 on December 16, 2006, 10:43:56
Thanks Davep, I integrated your language-data.h with mine and am ready for upload.  :)
I am now only missing:
-one window description called "Move recording",
-there seems to be an error message which is "Failed to move recording".

If you could add these, post it, then I can send a complete update to Chris and all other translators will not have these problems...

OK another version attached. I also found a message "Failed to delete recording" which I added to the list. Maybe a script is needed to scan the source for translatable text...

Dave

dingo35

Thanks davep, added our joined results to the translation thread, so this can be uploaded to cvs.

Just out of curiousity: the numbers you seem to be using are just numbering through. Why is such a complex mechanism implemented with language "Test", while every translator just looks up the English (or other closeby language) in the language-data.h file and adds/changes his translation?

Perhaps I'm overlooking some consequences, but I would say: loose the "Test" language the first time a new language is added, and get rid of those crazy numbers (which make navigating while in "test" mode virtually impossible....).

davep

Quote from: dingo35 on December 16, 2006, 13:37:12
Just out of curiousity: the numbers you seem to be using are just numbering through. Why is such a complex mechanism implemented with language "Test", while every translator just looks up the English (or other closeby language) in the language-data.h file and adds/changes his translation?

Perhaps I'm overlooking some consequences, but I would say: loose the "Test" language the first time a new language is added, and get rid of those crazy numbers (which make navigating while in "test" mode virtually impossible....).

The i18n system is designed to cope with the situation where two menus use the same word in English but need different words/phrases in some other language. OK that hasn't happened yet, but the test mode would be really useful then.