Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Client hang up as soon a VideoStream should be displayed

Started by GTRDRIVER, December 09, 2006, 12:47:40

Previous topic - Next topic

MartenR

Hi
to all with the crashes, I thought about it. It is probable, that all installations with this crash have a filter installed, which is causing the problems. If I know the filters name, I can propable get the same filter and reproduce what is going wrong.
So attached to this messages is again a testing version. This version report the filter names of the filter vomp tries to connect, so please execute it and report the last filter name.

Marten

MartenR

Interesting, I have intervideo decoder sucessfully tested (but a new one from ulead moviefactory). Can you please determine which version, maybe the version of your intervideo product (windvd , windvr, ulead version ) or the decoder version you uses.
Search for ivivideo.ax on your computer, report  the paths where you find it and the file version, press in explorer right mouse button on the files, select properties and then go to version tab and report the versions.
After we managed to determine the version I'll try to get a demo version of the same version and see whats happening.

@other users with crash , is it also a intervideo decoder

Marten

kdeiss

hi marten,

On my crashing installation

Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder
Ligos MPEG Video Decoder
Ligos MPEG Splitter
BUMM!

MartenR

Ligos Mpeg Splitter is a little bit more confusing, since it is not the right type of decoder.
Nevertheless, maybe something in vomp directshow implementation is wrong, which most filters does not care, but some filter does care. So I ask also for the version number etc., so that I can try to get this filter may be it crashes than on my development machine also.
Btw how old are these filters?
I don't implement one now obsolete interface, maybe they ask for the interface and do not realize, that I do not support it.

What happens if you remove this filter?

Marten

kdeiss

hi marten,

I looked araund in my system and with help of graphedit I found the application MyDVD from sonic. This app brings 3 ligos ax files into the system (all from 2003).

c:\Programme\Sonic\MyDVD\lmpgad.ax
c:\Programme\Sonic\MyDVD\lmpgspl.ax
c:\Programme\Sonic\MyDVD\lmpgvd.ax

(version 4.0.0.90)

After 3x
c:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /u filtername.ax

vompclient is running fine !!!

TATA !!!

Would it help you if I send you these files ???

klaus

MartenR

Got a version 4.0.?? from an old demo version and yes it crashes! (Maybe it sounds stupid, but I'm really happy, that it crashes on my computer).

Marten

kdeiss

Quote from: MartenR on December 16, 2006, 15:50:05
Got a version 4.0.?? from an old demo version and yes it crashes! (Maybe it sounds stupid, but I'm really happy, that it crashes on my computer).

;D ;D ;D

wouldn't it be usefull to have a filtermanager ? could be realized with an external application. Target:list, select register, unregister external filter. If interested I would eventually contribute such an tool.

klaus

MartenR

Ok, I checked it, it is division by zero somewhere internally in the Filter, far away from my code. I assume a fault in the filter since I can't get closer to the problem, also the filter tries to connect in a way that is not allowed for the mediatype vomp gives to the filter. Anyway I can't do anything against the crash, so I suggest to decrease this filter merit or to unregister it.

So now the intervideo problem remains, I really need the versioin number, for testing maybe it is something different.

@kdeiss:
There are lot of this tools around Radlight filter manager and DirectShow Filter Manager 0.5 . I suggest that you can use one of them, they provide all the functunality you propose. (We don't have to reimplement the wheel a second time)

kdeiss

Hi marten !

Quote from: MartenR on December 16, 2006, 17:35:01
Ok, I checked it, it is division by zero somewhere internally in the Filter, far away from my code. I assume a fault in the filter since I can't get closer to the problem, also the filter tries to connect in a way that is not allowed for the mediatype vomp gives to the filter. Anyway I can't do anything against the crash, so I suggest to decrease this filter merit or to unregister it.

OK in my case this helps as described in my last post (unregister) but in my opinion this is not a real solution. Before posting my first statement I checked the filters with graphedit and this did always show the cyberlink filter, if I connect Video Out and VMR Input. But in reallity vompclient tried to use the Ligos Splitter. So the user has no control over the selected filter, he does not even have an information about the selected filter and he can't correct it (without a bunch of knowledge).....

You gave me the hint to look for the Radlight Filtermanager - yes really a nice tool. I think their intention was to give the user some more control over the windows-directx-output system, and (very imortant) to blacklist some uggly, bad programed filters. Perhaps this could be a way to avoid such problems: a blacklist (ini file?), a logfile (from vompclient). In cases we run into GPF's the user can check his logfiles and than blacklist these kind of filters, or you could provide a default blacklist.

Now that my vompclient is running (thanks a lot again for this) I immediatly have some new questions. The output (in my case) needs to be deinterlaced, I already tried some settings in graphedit (filter properties) which let me select automatic/force bob/force weave but it does not have influence on the output from vompclient. Is there annother way to do this? Same question for saturation, brigthness etc, I can't even move these controls.

More than one instance? I tried to use the client twice (on the same machine), but after a while (10 seconds or so) both instances are freezing. With my MVP and vompclient this is possible (of course in the same bouqet), but two clients on the same machine is (in my case) seems not to be possibe. Would be such a strong feature - again only here on my machine ?

thanks

klaus

MartenR

QuoteOK in my case this helps as described in my last post (unregister) but in my opinion this is not a real solution. Before posting my first statement I checked the filters with graphedit and this did always show the cyberlink filter, if I connect Video Out and VMR Input. But in reallity vompclient tried to use the Ligos Splitter. So the user has no control over the selected filter, he does not even have an information about the selected filter and he can't correct it (without a bunch of knowledge).....

You gave me the hint to look for the Radlight Filtermanager - yes really a nice tool. I think their intention was to give the user some more control over the windows-directx-output system, and (very imortant) to blacklist some uggly, bad programed filters. Perhaps this could be a way to avoid such problems: a blacklist (ini file?), a logfile (from vompclient). In cases we run into GPF's the user can check his logfiles and than blacklist these kind of filters, or you could provide a default blacklist.
No, this can not be changed. It is also not the case, that vomp will use the ligos splitter.
Let we explain how Directshow works. Vomp say to DirectShow Filtergraph manager, hey please render this pin and then DirectShow will look into the registry and iterate thorugh all Filters in the registry. It will load one filter and then iterate thorugh all its input pins. Each input pin will be passed to vomps pin connect method and vomp will ask the filter pins, if he likes the ouput from vomp and the Ligos Pin crashes at this moment, instead of telling that he can handle the output ...

Well, I have said, that directshow iterate though the registry, all filter will be first sorted in order of their merit (ligos uses a a very high merit) and then alphabetically. So if you install a bad filter with a high merit, you will proably run into problems at a lot of DirectShow applications. (I have corrected a lot of pc of my friends, who messup their commercial DVD player with a codec pack).
This is the automated DirectShow behaviour. Well, you can also build the graph yourself in your app, but this will be really complicated, since you have to know allmost every filter, which is availible.
First,I have not assumed, that it is the filter, therefore it took so long to get the error.

So a blacklist is not possible, the user have to use a tool like these filter managers, since it is a system wide problem.

QuoteNow that my vompclient is running (thanks a lot again for this) I immediatly have some new questions. The output (in my case) needs to be deinterlaced, I already tried some settings in graphedit (filter properties) which let me select automatic/force bob/force weave but it does not have influence on the output from vompclient. Is there annother way to do this? Same question for saturation, brigthness etc, I can't even move these controls.
Well, this is planned. In the case of vomp, this would be done through the VMR9 interfaces ( deinterlacer etc.), but first we need for the main code a way to have device dependend options (other options on windows than on mvp).  So wait some revisions for this.

QuoteMore than one instance? I tried to use the client twice (on the same machine), but after a while (10 seconds or so) both instances are freezing. With my MVP and vompclient this is possible (of course in the same bouqet), but two clients on the same machine is (in my case) seems not to be possibe. Would be such a strong feature - again only here on my machine ?

Well, it would be possible to run vompclient on to different computer simulataneously. On the same computer, this might work also, but this highly depends on your hardware and software, since some features are limited to be used only once at one computer. So this can work, but it does not have to. (and I personally see no use running it twice on the same computer, why do you need this?)

Marten

kdeiss

Thanks for your detailed answer.

So a blacklist is not possible, the user have to use a tool like these filter managers, since it is a system wide problem.

If it's so - ok we have to cleanup our systems - but at least it would be usefull to see which selected filter crashs the client (logfile).

Quote. So this can work, but it does not have to. (and I personally see no use running it twice on the same computer, why do you need this?)

It is very usefull to see sport events (soccer formel1) which are transmitted simtaneously, for example the bundesliga konferenz. Theoretically it would be possible to see 2 or 3 or 4 games on a windows computer at the same time / and the conference on the main tv  ;)

thanks again

klaus

MartenR

Quotet is very usefull to see sport events (soccer formel1) which are transmitted simtaneously, for example the bundesliga konferenz. Theoretically it would be possible to see 2 or 3 or 4 games on a windows computer at the same time / and the conference on the main tv   
OK I see, on my computer it works at least with two screens. What kind of computer is it, how fast? What network connect, wlan might be to slow. And additionally what does the logs say.

Chris

My computer here can do at least 3 vomps simultaneously. Though I noticed one strange thing. I can watch three different channels from the same mux ok, I can watch 2 of the same channel and 1 other channel all from the same mux ok. But, if I swap the third vomp to the same channel, meaning 3 of the same channel it stops the other two from working!  ???  I think this must be something weird going on server side, I can't see it being the client. It's not limited to running on one computer either, I can get the same results with two computers and an MVP.

As for interlacing combing visual problems, I can see it on my main pc (which uses the Nero decoder filter). Trying to get vomp working on my laptop I installed the MPV Decoder and I might be imagining things, but it looked better than the Nero filter to me.

One other note, I think the Radlight filter mananger might be wrong when it says filter changes take effect at the next logon. I think it might be the next reboot, not logon.

kdeiss

Quote from: MartenR on December 17, 2006, 12:08:10

OK I see, on my computer it works at least with two screens. What kind of computer is it, how fast? What network connect, wlan might be to slow. And additionally what does the logs say.

It is a toshiba p20-s303, running xp sp2, pentium4 2,66 ghz, 1 gb ram, connected via 100Mbit lan interface.
It is possible to run simultaneously a dbox2 streaming client (videolan) and vompclient without stuttering any video, cpu usage around 70%. Should be enough for 2 vompclients ....

Anyway - this is category "nice to have", seems again to be a "private" problem, I think there are many things much more important to do .....

thanks chris + marten, vomp and its clients are really a very very good piece of software for the vdr community.

klaus