Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Howto know which Decoder Vomp Win uses or if I have an compatible filter

Started by MartenR, December 09, 2006, 07:58:30

Previous topic - Next topic

MartenR

Hi,
I have added a how to the vdr wiki, how to know which MPEG2 decoder filter is used or if a compatible filter is properly installed. All users with no video playback should read it and try it and post the results here. (To get a good compatibility list also a report of users with working video should post will be of high use)

http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/How_to_determine%2Cwhich_MPEG2-Decoder_Vomp_for_Windows_uses_or_if_I_have_an_compatible_MPEG2_decoder_filter_installed

First I wanted to put it here, but the forum refuses to post upload my pictures.

Marten

Chris

I have fixed the forum so it will now allow uploads again. I also split the boards to make a seperate space for Vomp For Windows, as you may already have noticed  :)

I have done this test on a fairly newly installed Windows XP SP2 and it is using "Nero Video Decoder" from the DVD player software in Nero 6, it's all working.

MartenR

On vdr-portal a long thread about filter compatibility is on going. The most interesting fact is that the open source filter MPV decoder filter seems to be compatible (from guliverkli @sourceforge).
So together with Nero Video Decoder, we have to addiitonally compatible decoders.

I have currently a handwriten compatibility list, which will go into readme.win.

Marten

carsten

Hi Marten,

here is what my installation uses: Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder 2.00 build 2525. I guess it's from a codec pack. VdrMediaClient mentions
also some Cyberlink Encoders and Sigma, Plam, Ulead, and VOB Encoders. I have no idea how to delete and reinstall them to test their quality. I also have now idea which of these came with what product or codec pack. I guess the target should be to find a nice-looking freeware decoder and budle it, yeah? I'll further investigate on that.

You or me could also try to contact that developer of vMC to ask him for code snipets. He mentioned once to have taken the "internal decoder out, for license issues", but it's back in again.

Best Regards,
Carsten.

MartenR

No, the target is not fiinding a freeware decoder. I think it is up to the user to choose, which mpeg2 decoder should be used for system-wide MPEG2 playback. I personnally hate it, if a programm installs some MPEG2 decoder, I want to choose the decoder myself. But what I want is to provide a compatibility list, that user can check before they buy or download in the case of freeware decoders, if it would work with vomp.
Also shipping a mpeg2 decoder can be problem regarding software patents.

Marten

carsten

I see...

I will anyhow try to find out, which one will give me the best results.

Thanks,
Carsten.

MartenR

I have to add another filter. The intervideo filter shipped with "Ulead Filmbrennerei 5"(in english "Ulead Moviefactory 5") work perfect.

Marten