Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Strange boot problem.

Started by sirwio, November 14, 2006, 20:27:20

Previous topic - Next topic

sirwio

Hi,

I've got an H3 mediamvp successfully running vomp. Its extremely stable if used with the a cvs checkout from 2006-11-11 (cvs update -D 2006-11-11) and the kernel patch mentioned before on this list.

Only thing boothering me now is the boot process. If vompclient is up and running and I unplug the and plug it back imediately the boot process never completes. It dosn't even get to the point of connecting the servers. Only way to get it to boot is to unplug the coord and wait for about two minutes. When power is back the mediamvp boots fine.

The strange thing is that the unit boots as expected if the original hauppauge software is used!!!

I have tried catching the network traffic with wireshark but I'm a beginner analyzing network traffic so if someone has a clue about the problem please let me know. May save me a couple of late nights analyzing network traffic...

The reason I'm investigating this is that I would like to incorporate the functionallity of the mvprelay program into the vompserver plugin. It will ease the  setup for others running H3 boxes.

- Magnus

Schnurps

I had such problems with booting, too. Never researched the cause...

MartenR

The H3 has Flash memory for the dongle, so it won't get a new dongle, if it is simply turned off.
You must follow:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=10292344&forum_id=46647
to get it to boot.

Marten

sirwio

To clearify,

I have no problems getting the unit to boot if it has been unplugged for more than two minutes. Its when the coord is unplugged from a running state and imediatelly plugged in that the boot process stalls. If the original huappauge sotware send with the box is used there is no need to wait for two minutes...

Schnuurps - From your reply I kinda get the impression that you problem has gone away. A'm I correct in that assumption?

- Magnus

Schnurps

Hi,

i have the MediaMVP-revision D3A.
At the moment there are not many problems. I mostly had the boot-problem when resetting the MVP after a VDR/VOMP-server-crash. Or when i unplugged the MediaMVP and plugged it again (e.g. for watching football-matches in summer at the terrace... ;-)).
I am regrettably not an expert, but a friend discovered that this has something to do with a no more opened/accessable port on the server. When this happens, just a system-reboot seems to help. Sorry, I cannot descript this more detailled, but if you are interested in that, I will ask him for more information.

Schnurps