Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Fixed IP possible?

Started by Ulrich_Kliegis, October 23, 2006, 22:34:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich_Kliegis

Hi all,
a new kid on the block. I am planning a linvdr-setup for our home and am considering which clients to use to connect the existing TV-sets. VOMP makes the MVP an option.
The clients would have to match the architecture of the existing LAN - and that engulfes fixed IPs for all clients so far, and should for some reasons stay like that.
So, my question right now is:

Is it possible for somebody like me who is pretty, almost totally Linux-illiterate, to make VOMP work with fixed IPs? I scanned the FAQs, strained some search engines, but got no viable answer so far. Hope to get some here.

Thanks in advance, and please keep in mind - I am Linux-illiterate, so please speak in plain language! :) Thanks!

Regards,
Ulli

MartenR

Hi,
well a fixed IP address is possible. You have to enable BOOTP and TFTP server of VOMP and set the mvp corresponding IP entry in vomp-00-00-00-00-00-00.conf (replace the zeros with the mcp mac address) to the desired IP address, cp. http://vomp.cvs.sourceforge.net/vomp/vompserver/vomp-00-00-00-00-00-00.conf.sample?revision=1.2&view=markup . You have also to set up a dhcp server that assigns the specific IP address to the mvp before dongle loading.

Marten

Ulrich_Kliegis

Thanks, Marten.

Since I use IPCOP as a router and firewall in my LAN, this could take over the DHCP job (not activated so far), without corrupting the fixed IP-scheme otherwise, right?

Regards,
U.

MartenR

Well, if IPCOP is capable to assign a certain ip via dhcp  address only to one device with a specific MAC.
This should work, without currupting the fixed IP scheme.