News:

Latest versions:
Server plugin: 0.5.1
MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Problem with my new router (Netgear GR614v3)

Started by Schnurps, May 18, 2006, 10:31:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnurps

Hi community,

i have a new router since last week - a Netgear GR614v3 - and i have regularly problems with it. In search of the cause i stumble across vomp's new built-in bootp-server. could it be that he doesn't cooperate with the router's dhcp-server?
How does the bootp-server check if the new IPs are free/unused? What is when the dhcp-server did acquire them for another computer?
I think it is not possible to tell the bootp-server a ip-range to use or a specific mediamvp it's exactly ipto use in the vomp settings?

Any ideas, if there could be a conflict between vomp and my router?

Schnurps

Chris

Hi, the built in bootp server will only hand out IPs that are specifically entered into the config file. There should be no conflict with any other DHCP server including routers. Also the built in bootp/tftp servers are disabled by default. Currently, handing out IPs with the built in bootp server is useless since during boot up the MVP will again ask for an IP using standard DHCP (after forgetting what the built in bootp server gave it).

fxmx86

Same problems for me :
I'm using VOMP for a year and had adapted to our team distribution : VDRLive. Thanks Chris !

But since 2 weeks, i own a GR614v2, and no more VOMP  :'(

I understand with forum what happens :
1 - MVP can download the dongle, as notified in log. So router reply to first DHCP request ! And i can ping MVP during few seconds.
2 - MVP kernel boots and... no network, no ping, only "locating server" on MVP : router don't reply to 2nd DHCP kernel's request :-[

I understood Chris is planning using busybox Dhcp instead of kernel's one : I'm waiting this with impatience !!

Nota : There are 2 stages for IP config (dongle download and standard stage) and i found the entries "IP" and "Override IP" are quite confusing, since they may only be used for dongle download, not for standard stage. May be you could precise this in your sample vomp.conf. Thanks.

PS : Sorry for my little english

MartenR

Maybe I should add somthing to this. I have since a month or two an GR614v4 and I have no Problems with it. So I doubt that there will be any problems.
So maybe you two can tell me how you configured your router and vomp and I will compare this with my configuration..

Marten

fxmx86

Thanks Marten for your answer.

Don't know what to say about my configuration :
In VDRLive 192.168.1.254 : TFTP+BOOTP ON with nothing set in "IP" and "override IP".
Router DHCP from 192.168.1.10 to .1.50 with one reservation : 192.168.1.25 MvpSalon 00:0D:FE:00:1E:3C
MVP and VDRLive connected to router switch, nothing else...

I can ping MVP on .1.25 during dongle load, then kernel load and no more ping on .1.25 and "locating server" on MVP.

What's your configuration ?

MartenR

I let the mvp dynamically assign an IP, so no reservation for the mvp. I have only reserved a address range 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.8, where I have put all my devices like the vdr with a static ip (not dhcp). Btw with another router it was aproblem for me with I put a name for the mvp in dhcp in.

Marten

fxmx86

Finally, I solved my problem with another DHCP server installed on my VDR : As the PC is faster than my router, he can answer correctly to DHCP request and my MVP starts fine, like before...  :)