Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Translations

Started by Schnurps, August 01, 2005, 00:56:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnurps

Hi Chris,

your project looks really promising.
If it is in a bit more stable stage, I will really like use it for my family's MediaMVPs. :-)

It would be great when the interface could be translated in German. Have you schelduled multi-lingual support?
Perhaps I could do the translation to German, if you agree.

Schnurps

Chris

Hi, I like the idea but I have to say I am a bit clueless on how best to write multilingual programs. I suppose vomp won't be too bad because there aren't that many words. I hadn't really considered it too much yet since it is all so alpha at the moment. When I come up with a way of doing it then certainly you can do the translation :)

Chris

davep

Look in i18n.c in vdr for one way to do it. Basically that file contains the English version of every string output by vdr together with the translations in the different supported languages. When a text string needs to go to the user it passes through a translate function which identifies the English string and replaces it with the non-English equivalent. The PLUGINS.html file explains how a plugin can add its own strings to the translation system, and the plugin version of mediamvp uses this.

However I believe all of the user interaction within vomp is done by the client, ie all the text is included in dongle.bin, so the client would need to have its own implementation. That raises the question of how much space is there in the MVP memory? If space gets tight it might be necessary to create different dongle files for the different languages (ie one translation per file) or to do things an entirely different way.

Dave

Schnurps

I addet this as a feature request on the sourceforge site.
It's at the moment surely not the most important feature request, but so it is kept in view for further releases...

Schnurps

Chris

Yes, actually I've just had an email from Dave about this. I am currently planning a bit of a GUI rewrite, so I don't want anyone to waste time in the code at the moment, but after that I think we should all plan a translation system for it.

davep

Yes I'm looking at the i18n stuff, and the code is coming along nicely.

Dave

Chris

dave, I committed a large chunk of the gui rewrite last night, I don't think it will drastically affect any translation stuff but there might be some cvs conflicts. Just to let you know..

BTW, the gui rewrite isn't finished, it's just in an intermediate working stage :)

davep

No problem. Incidentally have you spotted that on the current CVS the 'welcome' screen is never redrawn, so the clock remains frozen at the time the MVP was booted?

Dave

Chris

Yeah. I left that because I need some timed event system to run the clock, and then it needs to work out whether that area of the welcome screen is the top most box, etc etc, blah blah. I shelved it until at least after this gui rewrite - as there is now at least real memory allocated for each window. I still need some z-order code and an event system though. Rather complicated for just a clock!