Main Menu

Chris? are you really working on...

Started by Harry, March 31, 2006, 21:35:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

a VOMP windows client??

i must be mistaken...

Schnurps

I've also read that in the CVS-Notes. A windows-client would be really cool, but I cannot really believe that this is possible, too.
If I've read this information today for the first day, I would think of it as a April Fool's joke... :-)

Schnurps

Chris

Indeed there is an effort to create a Windows version. But it is MartenR who is doing that. I am just slowly editing things to make porting vomp possible. As with anything there are no guarantees... Marten, could you comment on how well you think it is going? And what you think the probability of success is?

MartenR

Quote from: Chris on April 02, 2006, 17:56:50
Indeed there is an effort to create a Windows version. But it is MartenR who is doing that. I am just slowly editing things to make porting vomp possible. As with anything there are no guarantees... Marten, could you comment on how well you think it is going? And what you think the probability of success is?
Well, if just ported the gui and the remote control and the gui works relatively well at the moment, the complete OSD stuff  with Direct3D9 works well.

But this is not the hardest tasks, the hardest task will be the integration with DirectShow and their especially the synching and the real time clock and handling stop pause and fast forward.
At the moment I think  the probability will be 60%, that it will work.
But we just at the begging and as Chris wrote there are no guarantees.

Also I think that it will take a lot of time, that I' ll have finished the porting.

Marten

Harry

thanks for this insight; i stand corrected.

whatever the outcome will be:
patiently and, of course, _without_ asking when it will be done,
we'll wait and "see" ;)

cheers
Harry

Harry

seeing the progress in the CVS:
i wonder how the WIN32 version will compile?
gcc? VC++?

cheers
Harry

MartenR

Well, at the moment not all windows files are present at cvs, so that from the cvs at the moment no windows client can't be build, but we are working on that issue. Also it is yet not ready.

Nevertheless, here some information, what for building the windows client will be needed in the future.
I personal use MS Vc .net 2003, maybe it works with other compilers also.
Additionally you need the DirectX 9 SDK, depending on the DirectX 9 Version you need additional the platform SDK, because some DX9 SDK include the DirectShow SDK and some do not include the DirectShow SDK. Depending on your Ms Visual C++ Version, you have to build strmbase libs from the SDK yourself or they are already supplied binaries (last known version without compiling Ms Vc 6 but not I'm not sure).

Maybe in the next time a windows makefile may appear in the future in cvs.

Requirements for the windows client itself (things are subject to change):
* at least windows 2K
* a VMR9 compatible DirectShow DVD Player
VMR9 compatibility list (to be expanded):
PowerDVD 6

Not compatible:
PowerDVD 4

* vompserver version greater than 0.2.2
* patience to wait for completion ;-)

Marten

Harry

thanks for this info.

aaargh; that's what i thought.
hmm... there was a free .net compiler from MS i think.
..and if not, we'll hope for a binary distribution.
then again: according to this page
Quotewww.spacejack.org/games/mingw/mingw-dx.html
it is at least possible to compile older DirectX stuff with
mingw-gcc. not that this would help...but....(no offense meant)
was SDL or OpenGL no option for the win32 VOMP client?

H

MartenR

Quotethanks for this info.

aaargh; that's what i thought.
hmm... there was a free .net compiler from MS i think.
..and if not, we'll hope for a binary distribution.
then again: according to this page

www.spacejack.org/games/mingw/mingw-dx.html
it is at least possible to compile older DirectX stuff with
mingw-gcc. not that this would help...but....(no offense meant)
was SDL or OpenGL no option for the win32 VOMP client?
No, this was never an option, because of the following reasons.
Vomp will use on windows the installed mpeg decoder filter from your dvd player, therefore I have to use DirectShow. The only way to get alpha blended osd with little effort is to use the Video Mixing Renderer. There are two version VMR7, it will work with DirectX 7 and only Win XP and VMR 9, it will work with DirectX 9 and every OS supporting DX9, this is at least Win98, thus I decided to use VMR9 to cover as much OS as possible.
Yes, there is a free MS Visual C++ Net 2005 compiler at the MS homepage, the only thing is you have to the genuine advantage test, I think this compiler should work as well just try it.
BTW, now all needed files are online in the cvs.

Marten