Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

A big wow, a bug report and two feature requests

Started by mephisto, July 31, 2005, 02:15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

mephisto

Hi,

I'm very imperessed by your work. This looks very promising. As others I've been playing around with MVPServer, but for the last few weeks my MVP has been plugged out as I waited for this plugin to mature.

I noticed one thing: when I was trying to look at my recording summaries, my VDR server crashed. Here are the error messages
recorded size as 4011
Bytes written now: 4015
Written list
starting wait
Bytes read now: 4
Bytes read now: 64
Size = 64
00 00 00 04  2F 76 61 72  2F 6C 69 62  2F 76 69 64  ..../var/lib/vid
65 6F 2E 30  30 2F 44 61  73 5F 45 78  70 65 72 69  eo.00/Das_Experi
6D 65 6E 74  2F 32 30 30  35 2D 30 31  2D 31 33 2E  ment/2005-01-13.
32 30 2E 31  33 2E 35 30  2E 39 39 2E  72 65 63 00  20.13.50.99.rec.
back from wait
recording pointer 0x87cbd80
Segmentation fault
I'm running vdr 1.3.27, you can find the debian deb-file I created for the plugin here.

As I'm using one of the newer MVPs I have a newer remote control with additional buttons. It is quite inconvenient to use ch+/- and vol+/- instead of the navigation buttons around my ok-button. Could you please support this remote?

Another thing that would be cool is a built-in tftp-server. I had no problems configuring my server, but other people might. I think MVPServer added this feature recently, you could probably borrow their code.

Keep up the good work.

Mephisto

davep

Oops. I did say that vdr 1.3 support was experimental. Try this patch:

Index: vompserver/mvpclient.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/vomp/vompserver/mvpclient.c,v
retrieving revision 1.4
diff -u -r1.4 mvpclient.c
--- vompserver/mvpclient.c      23 Jul 2005 22:10:37 -0000      1.4
+++ vompserver/mvpclient.c      31 Jul 2005 11:58:38 -0000
@@ -331,7 +331,13 @@
#if VDRVERSNUM < 10300
     point = (char*)recording->Summary();
#else
-    point = (char*)recording->Info()->ShortText();
+    const cRecordingInfo *Info = recording->Info();
+    point = (char*)Info->ShortText();
+    printf("info pointer %p\nsummary pointer %p\n", Info, point);
+    if (isempty(point)) {
+      point = (char*)Info->Description();
+      printf("description pointer %p\n", point);
+    }
#endif
     strcpy((char*)&sendBuffer[count], point);
     count += strlen(point) + 1;
=========================================================

The new vdr version has removed the Summary() property and introduced ShortText() and Description(). It seems that ShortText isn't always populated. Actually I suspect that Description is the one needed even if ShortText is present.

Dave

Chris

Mephisto, thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like it. As you've probably guessed I run VDR 1.2.6 and up until just recently vompserver wouldn't compile with VDR 1.3 at all. That was until Dave appeared and started making patches! Thanks Dave, and I have also applied the patch below to CVS on SF. So that should be that bug fixed when anonymous CVS on SF catches up.

Supporting the new remote is on the list, I just havn't got around to it yet ;) (I actually have both types of remote but was being careful to work to the old one first as it has less buttons.) And as for the TFTP server idea, I also found that out about a week ago that they have embedded it. It's definitely an interesting idea.

I'm very interested too in the deb package you made, I have yet to learn how to do all that. It would be very nice when I get to version 0.1 to have a deb available.

Chris

mephisto

Looking forward to that version 0.1, I hope it includes the features I asked for ;-)

To build vdr plugins you need some packages including vdr-dev, patchutils and dpatch and a directory debian within your root directory with certain control files. Then a simple "debian/rules binary" creates the deb-file. I uploaded a rudimentary version of this directory to http://vdr-patches.ods.org/debian.tar.bz2

I never did this before and don't think of this as more as a starting point. You can replace my name with yours wherever you find it, if you also take the responsibility ;-)