the background ;)

WAF is up another 0.25 pts  ;D

cheers
Harry

Chris

Yes, thanks to Mark :)

Glad the WAF is up again!

Something I havn't written anywhere yet (one for the usage notes I think):

You can press ok during a recording to show the osd. Also, the four little marks around the outer box of the progress bar show where the programme probably starts and finishes - they are x and y minutes in from either end where x and y are the margins you set in the timers config menu. They default to 5 minutes if they aren't set.

AronSira

Hi all,

I just want to write down my experiences with the last versions to give some feedback.
I used most of the older versions and starting with 0.2 0.2 and 0.2.2 (I didn't use 0.2.1).
First of all, thanks for the timers - for me thats enough for a first shot. I also love the EPG.  ;D

What is not so fine (comparison between 0.2 and 0.2.2)  :(:
stuttering has increased from 0.2 to 0.2.2 (I tried settings 1,2,4K packet size so far, my config GBit e1000 -> GBit Switch -> Fast Ethernet switch -> MVP - no other traffic).
EPG now has some problems with channels having no EPG (try to scroll up and down and look at the channels which had previously no channel information available -  by the way - I think the EPG misses also some translations (to german) - days of week e.g. ??).
For me some encrypted channels now appear much slower than before.
Back / Exit at remote within a submenu should jump to previous menu level - not to the main menu (see settings sub menus).
Settings menu seems to miss also some translations(at least to german).
Picture and audio are doing more jumps now and are getting asynch more often now.

But it's a jump forward for me, that mvp doesn't crash anymore when tuning to a channel off-air or not existent.

By using version 0.2 and surprised by it's stability I thought it might be useful to include more features, but as I'm currently using vomp as a productive device I wish I had the stability of 0.2 back or an even more stable base system (synching, stuttering).

I'm sure vomp will become rock stable some day.

Keep up the good work,
AronSira

Chris

Stuttering on live tv:
If this occurs within the first minute or two of live tv play, or during use of the EPG, then I know about it and I am not surprised. The reason for this is the lack of any pre-buffering in the client, the stutters in the first minute are the mvp delaying slightly each time until it is far enough behind the live stream to play smoothly.  If it continues forever then there is something wrong.

EPG channel data missing:
I have had a look at this and I only have one channel showing no data at the moment which is also what vdradmind reports. I will have to watch this one.

EPG translations:
Day of week translations in the EPG are done by the C library that the program is built on. I havn't looked into how to internationalise that yet, but it is already on the bugs list.

Encrypted channels appearing slower than before:
No idea why! :) I can't think what I have done between 0.2.1 and 0.2.2 that has made it do that. Do your non-encrypted channels still appear as fast?

Back/exit should go back a menu level:
Yes, I wondered about that when I wrote it. But the rationale was that it would be unlikely for a user to want to visit two different sections of the options in one visit. Still, due to unanamous dislike of the current behaviour I will be changing it for the next version requiring an extra level of pressing back every time the options are exited.

Other missing translations:
.. are missing because those areas of the program are new and nobody has translated them yet. Also my fault as I never got around to making a call for those phrases in the "Translations" topic.

Audio video sync:
Is this on live tv or recordings? If it's on recordings then the only thing that has changed is the display of the OSD. I did see that it can rarely affect playback when the stream is started or restarted but for me it was very minor and would require a lot to fix, I thought it could wait a while. I don't see it go totally out of AV sync any more than it used to though.

Replies?! :)

AronSira

Hi Chris,

.. you are right - stuttering is more at the beginning, but as I said it's much more than compared to 0.2 (please note: not 0.2.1 - I let this one out [shame on me  :o]).

If EPG channel data is missing and you scroll up or down you EPG list, than the channel having no EPG data gets overwritten by the channel data next to this channel (I don't know at the moment which direction it comes from) - if you have e.g. 4 channels having no channel data and you scroll them out of sight and then back you will have 5 channels having all the same EPG data and none without channel data. I have this problem, because many of the german channels exist as a localised version for Austria too, but they are missing sometimes (say: most times) the EPG data.

Translations are not a stability issue - and as for my part I'm also willing to help (german), but if I remember correctly, then there are already enough volunteers - and as for me I don't want you to see this as critisism, but I just wanted to show the errors I can detect.

I do not believe, that switching channels for not encryted channels has become slower, but maybe this time has become too short to be able to recognize minimal changes  ;D

Synching: I did not recognize any problems up to date with any version of vomp playing back some recordings, but as early versions had some problems on synching live tv this problem had disappeared for me with version 0.2.
It's back with version 0.2.2 - and it's bigger than ever (a short stuttering, no audio -> audio comes back and is out of synch up to 5 seconds - pressing play button then does not help any more, the gap is much too big).

By the way - am I the only one having problems with version 0.2.2 ? :'(
Then it's maybe time to work a litte bit on my VDR (with a chain saw)  ;)

AronSira

Addendum:

even lines having EPG data get overwritten  ???

Have a nice weekend,
Robert

riban

I have observed the false EPG rows also. I don't remember this happening before. Chris - any changes to that?

I had to wipe my PC so do not have a development environment installed currently but will try out Chris's new install script then have a look at the EPG problems (if you want Chris?).

I would like to see if we can speed up scrolling off the page also. I certainly tried to get it sped up during development but may see more optimisation now, months later with fresh eyes.

Walt

Chris

I don't believe I have made any changes that could cause this. I could be wrong though...

If you could have a look at that, that would be good, thanks.

More speed would be good, but I seem to remember when I had a quick look into it that it was less about the GUI and more about the network communications and VDR. Still, can't hurt to take another look.

Let me know how the install script goes :)