MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Issues for next release

Started by Chris, February 21, 2006, 22:51:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

It's been a while since the last release, it's been a while since I could remember what I am supposed to be doing / would like to do for the next one. If you have posted here or emailed me about something you want doing to VOMP could you please make sure it is in the SourceForge bugs / request for features system - I try to use that as my definitive list of stuff-to-do. Thanks!

And to keep you updated, stuff that is already done for the next release:
BOOTP/TFTP support built in
Server names rather than IPs in "choose a VDR server" if you have multiple
A font problem with displaying accents is fixed
Timers list and view timer

Stuff I want to include:
Set timer from EPG
A choice of large or small network packets (make it work on lans and wlans ?)
Some other things I have forgotten (see above!)

Then for the release after that:
OSDs on recordings thanks to recent works with MPEG timecodes
Maybe include a TS demuxer in the client to speed up live tv and simplify the vdr plugin

Schnurps

Hi Chris,

i am really looking forward to the next version of vomp! The new features sound great!

As I think most of the important features are done (with the exception of a recordings-osd/statusbar - that would be great!), perhaps you should do a bugfixing-version, with these annoying things:

Sometimes Audio/Video-Asynchronism in LiveTV, (issue in the basic of mpeg-streaming?)
crashes of vdr or vomp (sometimes we have to restart vdr one time a day...), (not complete sure what are the single reasons, one is this: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1398901&group_id=139484&atid=743655)
missing backward-scan (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1226443&group_id=139484&atid=743658)
and i still have sometimes comp-crashes when trying to access a not reachable channel...

I would recommend to start with debugging/completing the already good featureset, before adding more new features.#
I know that it is more fun and motivating to add new functions, but now should be the time to make the existing features perfect!

Schnurps

posde

One thing regarding the rebooting of the VDR: it would be nice to be able to do just that from the box, i.e. send an SVDRP command to the VDR box to try to get it to restart.

rgds
posde

Schnurps

One more suggestion for future releases:

A Skinning-System for VOMP!
Would be nice to have the possibility of individual skin for every single mvp.
I like this functional and basic skin (because it is really fast), but perhaps somebody wants to make another skin, more likely looking like Windows MCE/Meedio with more and larger icons etc.

Schnurps

Chris

posde: Do you mean restart the MVP or the VDR software/box?

Schnurps: Yes, I had wondered when skinning would come up ;) Currently I don't know about that one, and am inclined to leave it a while until I have a few more things working. I agree it would be nice, and I do intend to make the current interface a little more graphical when I get a proper icon drawing system in it.

Certainly changing all the colours would be fairly easy now.

Harry

many thanks for the 0.2.0 Chris!

WAF has risen 2 points with your new release ;).

[...]
Restart VDR and see if it works...

it DOES !!

one minor note:
- leaving a config sub menue should exit to config main menu

cheers
Harry

posde

Quote from: Chris on February 27, 2006, 19:29:59
posde: Do you mean restart the MVP or the VDR software/box?

VDR software.

rgds
posde

Schnurps

another minor here:
the german KiKa (a kids channel) stops broadcasting at around
9 p.m. or so.
tuning into KiKa after 9 makes the MVP hang.
it then needs to be power cycled.
can anyone from germany confirm this?

KiKa hangs for about 5 seconds, and then there is shown a KiKa-picture that give me exactly this iformation (Kika ends at 9pm).
But I have problems with unavailable/temporaly not-available channels, too.
I am using VDR 1.2.6, and because of teh missing auto-pid I have quite often wrong frequencies for updated channels...

Schnurps

Lodda

Hey Chris, after many tries and errors i am now able to compile vomp for my surroundings.
Thank you very much for your great work !!!!

as a suggestion for the future releases a pin secured children protection system could be a good idea
and videotext on VOMP also.

Again thank you very much.

Lodda

Chris

@Lodda

Glad you have got it working. With the new built in Bootp/tftp servers or other?
Anti-child systems have been suggested before, but I have to admit - it's not high on my priority list.

@Schnurps
I know you have reported this a lot already, but if you have any more really detailed info about this I would be glad to hear it. It's the next thing on my list.

@Harry
I wondered about how to leave the config menus, but I thought it is unlikely that you would want to visit two in the same go. However, now I have used it for a while it is a bit unintuitive. What does everyone think?
What is your WAF scale like then? What level was vomp at before and where now? ;)

Harry

with a growing number of settings, categories surely are a good
idea; accompanied by a good (in terms of simple) handling routine.

my WAF scale ranges from 0 to 10 ... you've just hit 8  ;D.
...funny... sometimes WAF is explained as "Women's Acceptance Factor"
then sometimes as "Woman Acceptance Factor"
or "Wife Acceptance Factor"

cheers
Harry

Harry

hmmm...

is it just VDR 1.3.37 or me or the progressbar incorrectly calculating the
playing time?
quite often, the time indicator beside the progress bar claims the running
recording to be longer than it actually is.

can anyone confirm this?
cheers
Harry

davep

Quote from: Harry on March 13, 2006, 19:56:18
hmmm...

is it just VDR 1.3.37 or me or the progressbar incorrectly calculating the
playing time?
quite often, the time indicator beside the progress bar claims the running
recording to be longer than it actually is.

can anyone confirm this?

I don't see this with vdr 1.3.44. The only oddity I see is that when I start playing a recording the time display is blank, the correct values are only shown after using one of the skip buttons.

(This is with today's CVS btw, not the latest dongle.)

Chris

Dave: It is supposed to show "-:--:-- / -:-:--" for the first second or two, but it should show numbers before disappearing even on the first play. Are you getting the dashes or is it totally blank?

Harry: Are you just seeing the lenth of the programme + start margin + end margin? If not, how much is it out by?

Harry

if i could only use the screenshot function within VOMP
found it in the source but couldn't make out how to shoot a photo :(.

tell you what: i'll shoot a picture of the distorted progress bar tonight
with my digicam if necessary and post it to the board.
- the picture is gonna tell you more precisely what's going on.  :D