MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Bug report - 4:3 content shown in letterbox on 4:3 TV

Started by dingo35, November 20, 2013, 14:42:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo35

The subject says it all : 4:3 content shown in letterbox on 4:3 TV.

Settings are 4:3 TV  and letterbox.

MartenR

Not enough details...
How is your TV connected..., what is the resolution etc..

Marten

dingo35

Hi Marten,

Sorry for that; my TV is connected through composite/PAL , so I guess resolution is standard PAL (768 x 572, some say 762 x 572)??

Best regards, Hans.

winschrott

Hi Marten,

had this problem, too. With my old TFT connected to the rasp. It was a 17" TFT, 1280x1024. 16:9 came out with black borders top/bottom, 4:3 with black borders all around. In settings, a 4:3-screen was defined. Can test it again if you want,  the old TFT is beside the actual 23" ;-) Both connected through HDMI -> DVI cable...

CU
winschrott

MartenR

I have looked in the code and remebered.
This is not implemented. Currently, there are only 16:9 tvs supported.
(Reason was a poor api for analog tv output of the raspberry pi and tv mode switching).

Since I have no 4:3 tv, I am not implementing this (no motivation for the poor composite quality of the raspberry, mvp is much better).
If someone, wants to provide a good patch to updateMode in videoomx. He is free to do so.

Marten

svalavuo

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is what my RPi is suffering, but in one channel (viisi in finland) picture is cut from top and bottom. So for example it loses subtitles :)
Whole screen is used, but top and bottom are cut off.
My TV is 16:9 and I'm using HDMI.
Where can I get some helpful log to examine what is happening or to send someone (Marten?) who understands what's happening...
I guess this is something to do with channel provider. As far as I know, this happens only with that one channel (or at least I haven't watched any other channel suffering from this). Maybe they don't provide all information needed... Although VDR shows that channel correctly.

- Samuli
Samuli
vdr 2.0.3-3 + vompserver 0.4.0 + MediaMVP H4 + Raspberry Pi with vompclient

MartenR

In order to understand it, I need a small test video.

Marten

sirwio

I got kind of the same results prior to commit df256d9401cf168b7e336522f6295b1ac91450c0 16:9 SD channels with the "16:9 on 4:3 display mode" set to "Chop sides"

Please check forum thread http://forum.loggytronic.com/index.php?topic=730.0

Quote from: svalavuo on November 28, 2013, 08:52:30
Hi!

I'm not sure if this is what my RPi is suffering, but in one channel (viisi in finland) picture is cut from top and bottom. So for example it loses subtitles :)
Whole screen is used, but top and bottom are cut off.
My TV is 16:9 and I'm using HDMI.
Where can I get some helpful log to examine what is happening or to send someone (Marten?) who understands what's happening...
I guess this is something to do with channel provider. As far as I know, this happens only with that one channel (or at least I haven't watched any other channel suffering from this). Maybe they don't provide all information needed... Although VDR shows that channel correctly.

- Samuli